Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wedding photography.

I was recently asked to be a photographer for my friends wedding. I'm nowhere near professional and the bride and groom know that...Is there any advice any of you pros have for a new guy?

I have pretty basic gear (D90, Nikkor 18-200 and 35mm 1.8) and understand its not the gear that makes the photograph, but still...is there anything I NEED to have? I'm going to pick up a flash soon and start playing with flash photography for portraits and such...besides that, tips? advice?

I'm far from a professional either. I've only done 2 weddings (see http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47781 and http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47994 ) and I can tell you that there's no better way to be prepared for a wedding than actually doing it.

Sure, you can spend hours behind a laptop researching, but I promise you that once that frenzy starts, you'll remember diddly of what you read.

Make sure your gear is up to standard(I.E. Main body, back up body, flash, backup flash, wide lens, decent prime, a fast telephoto and batteries out your ears) Make sure you know your gear and just stay focused.

No better way to learn swimming than being thrown in the deep end
    My Savior, My Leader, My Father and My Shepard.
    I praise thee Lord All Mighty

D700/Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8/Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8/Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO/ Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Organise a practice shoot with the bride and groom two weeks or so before the wedding day. Go to a local park or somewhere and take plenty of shots and get them comfortable with you and vice versa. No pressure that way. You can then show them the results and they will know exactly what they will be getting before the wedding day so there will be no surprises on anybodies side.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Organise a practice shoot with the bride and groom two weeks or so before the wedding day. Go to a local park or somewhere and take plenty of shots and get them comfortable with you and vice versa. No pressure that way. You can then show them the results and they will know exactly what they will be getting before the wedding day so there will be no surprises on anybodies side.
    thanks, that's a great idea actually. i'm friends with both of them and have already photographed them alot. unfortunately the wedding is halfway around the world and i wont get a chance to see the venue until maybe a day or two before the wedding. one of the reasons they wanted me was because i don't really do the standard posed shots, i'm much more of a candid, shoot from the hip kinda photographer...

great idea about the park though...

How long before the wedding? A flash could be an idea. Something along the lines of this could be useful if there high or no ceilings with a flash: http://www.lumiquest.com/products.htm
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Your current gear should be enough to cover the wedding - but you MUST have a speedlight.

Everything will go so fast on the day. Plan mentally what you want to do before hand as part of the preparation.

What speedlight are you looking at? SB900 will shut off in pressured shooting so be aware. There is a sensor that will shut the flash down when overheat. You don't want that to happen in the wedding. I used one over the weekend and had to use the backup SB800 2 times for the night.

SB800 doesn't have the same problem but it's discontinued, maybe you can get a SB600?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    Your current gear should be enough to cover the wedding -
    I disagree. The 18-200 will be crap in a church(assuming its indoors), Id suggest renting the 70-200 F2.8VR

Also, the 35mm might not be wide enough for the group formals...
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I'm not saying the 18-200 is ideal, Jason. I just give advice based on what piratebryan has.
    As it is, I am thinking the 35 in a church and 18-200 for everywhere else.
    Last edited by tim11; 08-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Don't over complicate this guys.
    It appears to me that the OP is a friend doing a favour presumably because the couple can't afford or don't want to hire a pro. They know what they are doing so how about some encouragement and useful advice rather than telling him that his equipment is not up to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Don't over complicate this guys.
    It appears to me that the OP is a friend doing a favour presumably because the couple can't afford or don't want to hire a pro. They know what they are doing so how about some encouragement and useful advice rather than telling him that his equipment is not up to scratch.
    Just giving the OP what they asked for...

Quote Originally Posted by piratebryan View Post
    ...is there anything I NEED to have? I'm going to pick up a flash soon and start playing with flash photography for portraits and such...besides that, tips? advice?
    And in my opinion as a Wedding Photographer, they would NEED a wider lens for the large group formals, and something with reach and low light capability for indoors.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!