Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 5dII vs 7D... decision time...

Well, I'll wait until after Canon's upcoming announcements but assuming nothing new comes down the pike...

I'm in the market for a new cam to replace my 30D. I've been pondering the 5dII for awhile but recently been thinking the 7d. The appeal of the 5d is the FF sensor but the 7d has more autofocus points (which I think is big) and has a more robust shell (I take tons of pics outside/beach etc and like better weather protection). The 7d is also a grand cheaper.

Not sure what to do. Would love feedback... pros/cons...

Thanks.
    AP

Canon EOS-30D, 40D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens, Canon Extender EF 1.4x II, Canon Speedlite 430EX TTL, Bogen - Manfrotto 055MF4 Pro MagFiber Tripod

If you want a nice build and fast AF, then the 7D is the way to go. If you're more of a portrait/event kind of guy, the 5D2 will probably suit you better.

flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

"If you're more of a portrait/event kind of guy, the 5D2 will probably suit you better."
    Why is that?
    AP

Canon EOS-30D, 40D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens, Canon Extender EF 1.4x II, Canon Speedlite 430EX TTL, Bogen - Manfrotto 055MF4 Pro MagFiber Tripod

Better ISO performance.

Better Brokeh separation.

Imo, i don't think it'll matter much, other then the iso performance.

Shooting in low-light the 5d2 will win hands down, everything else is debatable and splitting hairs.

I do like the 7d's body more then the 5d2, it feels more nikon'ish which is a good thing in my opinion
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    Better ISO performance.

Better Brokeh separation.

Imo, i don't think it'll matter much, other then the iso performance.

Shooting in low-light the 5d2 will win hands down, everything else is debatable and splitting hairs.

I do like the 7d's body more then the 5d2, it feels more nikon'ish which is a good thing in my opinion
    I don't like the 5D2's body either, feels cheapish. The 7D also has a nice layout (props to Canon on this rearrangement).

Csae is right, better ISO performance and depth of field from a larger sensor (twice the size actually).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that for the hotshoe to be properly weathersealed it must have a protective hotshoe cap. also note that weather and water protection around the shutter button, lcd and rear buttons is minimal. water can get in and damage components over time.

i know this after i dunked my d700 underwater and the repair shop showed me numerous busted cameras where water damaged the internals beyond repair. that includes 1d series and d3 series bodies aswell...so just be mindful of this b4 you get too cocky with water...particularly salt water as i found out. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that for the hotshoe to be properly weathersealed it must have a protective hotshoe cap.
    Correct, it has to have hotshoe rubber ring, and something in it, like a compatible weather sealed hotshoe flash, or seal.

Sorta like how some lenses are weather proof, but need a filter installed to complete the proofing.

I've heard of cameras surviving underwater dunks, but its always a hit or miss, as to what happens next, snow in general is not that bad, rain is also pretty ignored.

1d isn't water proofed either, its just slightly better.

1d(s) > 7d > 5d2/50d/40d/etc as far as i know.

There is a Known and (unfixed? Why canon why?) problem with the 5d2's weather proofing when coupled with the battery grip. Water will accumulate in between and can break the camera. So the 5d2 is actually better without the grip then with. Personally, i found the batteries last so long, that the added weight was not justified, i like the look of a grip, but after using a 1ds series, it just feels flimsy and silly to me now.

If i start doing lots of videos, maybe, but at that point, a DC/AC coupler with a spare battery just seems even better.

ps: if your gonna use your camera with rain or snow, something i do, is in the cfn, i turn off the hotshoe flash. So that if water is lying ontop of it and is connecting the pins, there wont be any voltage passing through it. I don't believe it is an issue, but its just a quick thing that makes me feel slightly more secure.
    Last edited by Csae; 08-12-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    1d isn't water proofed either, its just slightly better.
    lol yes i know theres no waterproofing; my episode was just a stupid mistake. camera and lens survived but inside the camera body is full of rust and its only a matter of time until it dies. i just got to talking with the tekkie about weathersealing in general asking him how good it was and he showed me some dead cameras and talked to me about the most vulnerable points of even the best waterproofed cameras.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

So is insurance covering the D700 when it dies?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Is the d700 the same as the 7D?
    AP