Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Rockford's Airshow

Well, today & tomorrow is the Rockford Airfest ... and I am taking the zooms out for the day, today ... because I have plans for the second day. The weather appears clear, so it'll be blue skies.

12-24mm f/4-5.6
    24-70mm f/2.8
    70-400mm f/4-5.6
    200-500mm f/5-6.3

& the T/Cs (1.4x, 2x. 3x) ... just to add another dimension to some of this.

It is quite a backpack, with no extra LCs hanging off the back. (That's a switch)

Wish me luck ... and I better grab the sunscreen.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Keep a leash on it.......

Cool Weather changed ...

As I drove to Rockford, there was this funky, misty rain going on, which let up, just as I arrived. The clouds kind of stuck around, so there was a sky to shoot against, unlike the blue I had anticipated. The people were exceptionally friendly, as I mixed right in. They seemed to recognize the black backpack and actually parted ways when I walked through the crowd. I kind of like that.

Anyway, I did flight-line shots, this time, instead of full time runway stuff. I put the 70-400 G through its paces ... and it seemed to respond nicely.

I actually found being on the "side-lines" to be far more entertaining and interesting to shoot, that being stuck in the stands or buffeted around by the gathered throngs of folks. The pilots were back and forth and that made for some interesting images, too.

So, as I moved stuff around, I met an Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt "Warthog" pilot, who had just finished his performance with the plane ... and we chatted a bit. He then walked me across the flight line, over to his aircraft and we did a portrait shot. I still have yet to look at this stuff ... and will post what came out. See, the backpack does work.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-31-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Especially if you have a big tag on the backpack that says "Combat Camera Crew"

Either that or "Penthouse Photography" That usually will get the Military Boys attention.

More serious note: Can't wait to see these pictures.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

people always get out of my way...that or get stepped on...

Thumbs up Well, because the Captain was so great about posing for me ...

I decided to work on HIS image first.

I HDR'd it (<- new action verb) because the sun was so darn bright ... and I cloned out cars, jets and light posts. It took an hour, at least, in post. ... but, hey! We got a portrait!

US Air Force Captain Joe "Rifle" Shetterly
    "Have GUN, will fly it."

Name:  jwshetterly_HDR7.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  493.2 KB
    EXIF: α850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX HSM
    @ 24mm - f/10 - 1/160 sec. - ISO-250 - Spot Meter - Spot Focus - Sunlight - Manual

LOW & SLOW

Name:  A-10-Low-and-Slow.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  395.1 KB
    EXIF: 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
    @ 400mm - f/5.6 - 1/2000 sec - ISO-800 - CWA - Daylight - Manual

I like this one because it kind of shows you how low and sneaky this particular aircraft is ... just hiding in the grass.

This picture just struck me as spooky ... looking down the hovering business end of an AV-8B "Harrier" Jump Jet.

Name:  Harrier-looks-around.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  268.4 KB

"Hey, you! Yeah, with the SONY camera!"

Name:  Business-end-of-an-AV-8B.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  363.8 KB
    EXIF: 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
    @ 400mm - f/5.6 - 1/2000 sec - ISO-800 - CWA - Daylight - Manual

CLOSER?
    Name:  closer-look.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  387.0 KB

But, then, what is an airshow without ...

this guy?

Name:  what-about-this-guy.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  312.1 KB

He just kind of dropped in on me from ... well, who knows where?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

that first is an excllent shot although its posted far too big and screwing up the page...strong pose and you did a great job cloning. his face though looks strange from the hdr but otherwise pretty cool.

i think with the others you shot with the iso too high and it makes them a little soft and lacking DR. 1/1000s should have been ok but most importantly would've got you into the iso400 zone which the sony would handle far better.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Yes, good job on the Warthog, Don. Including the pilot lifts the image out of the ordinary.

Rooz, I can't let your second comment go by without comment. Yes 1/1000sec at iso400 would probably have got the job done, heck the Harrier shot would have been fine at 500th/iso200.

But "a little soft and lacking DR" because Don used iso800, I don't think so. Overexposure on the A-10 and underexposure on the Harrier, maybe, and difficult to get right in the circumstances.

i see someone has been watching closely
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like the first one as well but I have to say that it's a little too smooth. His skin is so babies bottom looking!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR