Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.AWR files... not .RAW?

I am extremely confused. I go out to shoot like my normal routine today, but i finally got my bigger memory card. so i decide, lets step up the game and shoot .RAW for once instead of .JPEG. I went to my menu and changed it to the "RAW" settings, although i notice theres a "RAW +JPEG" option. i do my shoot, and tonight i upload. the files cannot be sent to Adobe Photoshop 7 because they're an unsupposrted format. why are they not raw/editable?

NOTE:
    I shoot with a Sony Alpha A200
    Adobe photoshop 7 DOES allow for .RAW but not .AWR

I would try copying them to another directory and renaming them with the correct extension. Or just rename one and see if it works.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

If you have Photoshop 7 then you are out of luck as it was released way before your A200 and the RAW files from it are not supported. However, there is a work around. You will need to d/l the dng converter and convert the RAW files to dng and then you should be able to use PS7. PC

If however, you have Elements 7 you need to d/l the latest update for ACR. PC.

If you have a Mac, go to the Adobe site and d/l the Mac versions. The free dng converter is a stand-alone and once installed, you'll need to run it and let it convert.

Renaming the files won't work.
    Last edited by D Thompson; 07-31-2010 at 05:17 AM.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

I think you're out of luck. Photoshop 7 doesn't support Sony RAW and it doesn't support DNG.

Only Panasonic and Leica use the .RAW extension. Every other camera brand uses a different extension for their RAW files.

The format of RAW files of various cameras models are different and incompatible...even within the same brand. That's why RAW converters are always being updated for the latest cameras.

Photoshop 7 is old...released is 2002. The RAW plugin (which was optional) was version 1. For support of DNG you'd need at least version CS (8). It might be time to upgrade.
    ________
    FORD ESSEX V4 ENGINE PICTURE
    Last edited by Graystar; 03-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.

There should have been some sort of basic RAW converter software that came with your camera. Have you checked the CD?
    If you don't have it check Sony's web site you will probably be able to download something from there.
    If you don't want to or can't use Sony software you could try FastStone image viewer. That will at least allow you to convert you existing files to jpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    I would try copying them to another directory and renaming them with the correct extension. Or just rename one and see if it works.
    Lol...

No, that would not work ! But i'd be hella suprised if it did !

A RAW file is an unprocessed file, like it has been mentioned its not named .raw, thats only a few manufacturers, canon uses .cr2, sony apparently uses what you just found out, etc.

Lightroom might handle it ?...

Ps7 is way old, its definitely time to step up, if anything just for the sake of the healing brush! Man i love it.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

LR will. And so will CS4 and CS5.
    But the camera should have come with Sony IDC which is the Sony RAW converter. It's crap but it will at least open the RAW files and export them as TIFF.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Graystar View Post
    I think you're out of luck. Photoshop 7 doesn't support Sony RAW and it doesn't support DNG.
    Does anyone besides Pentax support DNG natively?

Quote Originally Posted by Graystar View Post
    Photoshop 7 is old...released is 2002. The RAW plugin (which was optional) was version 1. For support of DNG you'd need at least version CS (8). It might be time to upgrade.
    You might want to try Raw Therapee, which is quite nice and also free / open source software. It lists the Sony A200 as a supported option.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

as soon as i did some exploration in my own computer. i looked at the files i uploaded and opened them with Opera (web browser- check it out, shit's nice) and it gave the suggestion to import it to a Software i think i may have gotten from my Sony Software CD. It was called "Image Data Converter SR" which i've been messin with the past couple hours and wow. this thing is smooth. it may not have the brush system to fix little problem areas like blending tools or anything, but it works amazingly with color tone manipulation/fixing. From there, i converted the .ARW file into a .TIFF file, because i knew my PS7 would be able to edit wth that.

only thing im still wondering is if i should rather convert the images to a different file format than TIFF?

Quote Originally Posted by mattdm View Post
    Does anyone besides Pentax support DNG natively?
    Some Samsung (GX10, GX20 but not the new NX10), Leica, some Casio compacts / ultrazooms, Ricoh, and some medium format and large format backs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdm View Post
    You might want to try Raw Therapee, which is quite nice and also free / open source software. It lists the Sony A200 as a supported option.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/
    Also UFraw, a free open source RAW converter that can be used stand alone or as a plug in for The GIMP image editor. I've checked that it does list the Sony Alpha 200 among the supported cameras.