Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Bonzo, no, it's fine to leave the EXIF intact, we don't mind inferior brands here! LOL (just in case)

55mm @f8, 1/125th and ISO100
    55mm @f6.3, 1/80th and ISO100

First thing to say is that, seeing as you're worried about DOF you could have used your ISO button to get to f11.
    AFAIK the D500 is good to ISO400 and OK at 800.

But, although there is a general lack of sharpness, I'm not sure it's a DOF problem.
    I don't know how close you were but if you managed to get to 3ft your DOF at f8 would still be adequate at 3" overall (not for Frank's head on shots).

So, how close were you and how big a crop have you made?

Thanks for constructive comments Peekayoh, below are the resized originals.

The sharpness has always seemed to be a problem for me with this camera and I think thats why I always try and keep the ISO at 100 or 200. What ever I do the photos never seem as sharp as I think they should be. Could it be the kit lens or that I have a Kenko filter fitted ?

I would guess that I was about 2ft away from the dragonfly in both these photos. I was also trying to keep the shutter speed up as it was quite windy.

Bonzo Nice job on these.
    Thanks for the coment Frank - I wonder if I can get up early again tomorrow?

Mine were shot at f/8 I could have went to f/5.6 to blur the background more. My shots were at the minimum distance I could shoot with the Tamron 70-300.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    Thanks for constructive comments Peekayoh, below are the resized originals.

The sharpness has always seemed to be a problem for me with this camera and I think thats why I always try and keep the ISO at 100 or 200. What ever I do the photos never seem as sharp as I think they should be. Could it be the kit lens or that I have a Kenko filter fitted ?

I would guess that I was about 2ft away from the dragonfly in both these photos. I was also trying to keep the shutter speed up as it was quite windy.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Thanks for the coment Frank - I wonder if I can get up early again tomorrow?
    Ok, at 2ft you have 1.34" DOF and f11 would be 1.89". Either way, with the Damsel Fly side on,you should be OK.

Throw away the filter; it's just something else between sensor and subject.
    If that kit lens is the 18-55mm IS, the centre resolution is OK. Borders not so good but you're cropping so no worries.

I'd guess that windy with those slow shutters (1/80th and 1/125th) would be the problem.
    ISO 400 gives you 2 stops more to play with. ISO800 may not be a good idea but you could try it.
    If you're shooting RAW you could perhaps gain another stop by deliberately underexposing.

Thanks for the tips; I think I will get up early again tomorrow and have another go. I will go for upping the ISO to 200 and 400 and an aperture of F11 - as you say that is about an extra 0.55" DOF which would have been perfect.
    Out of interest the focus point on the more horizontal body was on the wings about central on the black spot but the more vertical body it was half on and half off the wing just where the black spot ends on the body side.
    I will also remove the filter.

When opening the CR2 file in the Canon software it automaticaly does some resharpening and the blue on the wings shows up more. Perhaps I should use that software more.

I will let you know how I get on.

Very nice Frank. Time you got a Macro lens...
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

It is on the wish list.

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    Thanks for the tips; I think I will get up early again tomorrow and have another go. I will go for upping the ISO to 200 and 400 and an aperture of F11 - as you say that is about an extra 0.55" DOF which would have been perfect.
    Out of interest the focus point on the more horizontal body was on the wings about central on the black spot but the more vertical body it was half on and half off the wing just where the black spot ends on the body side.
    I will also remove the filter.

When opening the CR2 file in the Canon software it automaticaly does some resharpening and the blue on the wings shows up more. Perhaps I should use that software more.

I will let you know how I get on.
    Well, thats just fine, at these shallow DOFs the in-focus bits are split almost 50/50 between "in front" and "behind so the mid point is a good choice.
    If the DOF was shallower you would pick a point just behind the head to make sure the eyes were in focus.

As a Sony user I'm unable to help with Canon software; actually I use DxO Optics Pro.
    The sharpening offered by the Canon software is probably a good starting point. If you don't use it much are you are using Adobe and what setting do you use?

Strange my host has just started blocking my photos on this forum for some reason and I can not view them myself via a direct link!
    I will have to look into this tomorrow.

I am a poor old engineer and can not afford any Adobe products. I use GIMP and hardly do any photo modifications apart from cropping, rotating and white balance. I have only started using RAW since I brought this camera.

I started looking into the Canon software but did not go to deep into it. It has some presets for certain lenses and somebody mentioned on another thread it has a dust removal function which I have never found.

P.S. Doh it was my fault I modified the CHMOD settings while trying something out and forgot to put them back - images are back now
    Last edited by Anthony; 07-21-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added P.S.