Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Flash drives are no more reliable than Hard Drives! You still have the possibility of losing your images, albeit not all of them but Sod's Law dictates, the important ones.
    barring sods law, the issue i have is the volume of images you will lose from a single failure. maybe i'm wrong but i was always told flash memory is far more stable when being moved around ?? i dont know enuf about this.

What worries you about not seeing what's on the drive?
    nothing rational. just that i cant see it. lol

My decision is based purely on cost and in the full knowledge that there is a remote possibility of data loss.
    i dont blame you there. but for you to consider...i have a friend going on a 5 week safari in africa in about 2 weeks. we have all given her SD cards for her to borrow. she now has around 120GB in cards but only had to buy 32GB. so if you know people who have the same memory format, beg borrow and steal for the time you're away.

Don, I know you have 8GB, 16GB and 32GB cards (maybe more) and now you are contemplating adding a further 64GB CF and a 32MB MS card.

I know you and I have different philosophies but using Flash memory as semi-permanent storage makes no financial sense whatsoever.
    its got nothing to do with sense. its got to do with bragging rights.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Cool When you go big ...

I am a little tired of constantly having to empty all my data files or rummaging through my bags for additional cards to cover my usage.

Having monster memory cards in the DSLR simply alleviates any of that. You simply shoot until the BATTERIES FAIL.

"Bragging rights?" Hardly. If there was a 1 TB card available, I would be thinking about it.

Personally, I would rather BOTH cards be CompactFlash and worked as a RAID 0, providing write speeds working @ 0.7x of only one card. That is incredibly fast. You could also have an option of having them be a RAID 1 ... unfortunately, that would probably double the length of the write speed, unless one was delayed in favor of the other, but then you would have two cards with MIRROR'd data.

Better yet, with Micro technology ... have a RAID 0 or RAID1 in ONE CF card slot, with two micro SD inside it!

Something similar to this idea ...

Hey ... just advancing the Art, through technology, right?

No, it not bragging rights. Any of you guys/gals can step up and do it, too. It's what I do nearly every single day. Picture that!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-19-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

another option depending on the camera you have....

http://www.eye.fi/

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am a little tired of constantly having to empty all my data files or rummaging through my bags for additional cards to cover my usage......
    So why not upload them to your Computer. You can't view them properly or print them until you do.
    Having monster memory cards in the DSLR simply alleviates any of that. You simply shoot until the BATTERIES FAIL.
    Which is before you can fill an 8GB card

Rooz, if you drop a 2 Ext.HDD when it's actually carrying out a read/write operation, it may a problem. Drop it when it's switched off or when the head is parked and it's not a problem, unless you throw it off a cliff, of course; anything under 3M is probably OK. Some drives will now Park the heads when they detect null G, that is if you drop it (4" + drop). Otherwise there's not much to choose in reliability.

Yes, borrowing cards could work, but 120GB for a 5 week Safari? Shooting RAW + JPEG that's a total of 2500 images, an average of 70 images a day, that's nowhere near enough.

If I were lucky enough to be off on such an excursion I'd simply buy another NexTo device and have the security of two copies of the images. My 2x 8GB cards would give me 333 Images in one go, mmm, maybe need another.

Rooz, if you drop a 2 Ext.HDD when it's actually carrying out a read/write operation, it may a problem. Drop it when it's switched off or when the head is parked and it's not a problem, unless you throw it off a cliff, of course; anything under 3M is probably OK. Some drives will now Park the heads when they detect null G, that is if you drop it (4" + drop). Otherwise there's not much to choose in reliability.

Yes, borrowing cards could work, but 120GB for a 5 week Safari? Shooting RAW + JPEG that's a total of 2500 images, an average of 70 images a day, that's nowhere near enough.

If I were lucky enough to be off on such an excursion I'd simply buy another NexTo device and have the security of two copies of the images. My 2x 8GB cards would give me 333 Images in one go, mmm, maybe need another.
    Again; I'd contemplate a DVD dual layer burner - one that accepts CF and SD cards for a direct burn. 2x 8GB per day should be pretty good unless rapid-fire is being used. Once burned and verified, DVDs are highly reliable. You could even make copies very easily and mail them home daily. Plus your backups are already covered for permanent storage of "out of the camera" images.

Most wedding shooters I know prefer 4GB or 8GB format for the very reason that full losses are minimized. They just get used to changing every 200 or so images.

Many pro-camera bodies hold dual cards. So; you get the full image on a CF, then store a small or Med JPG of the whole day on a 2nd card. In a pinch, medium JPG will suffice for nearly any usage (that is; not being sold to a publisher or big enlargement).

I personally use a 6 card CF wallet. I use the very simple system of:
    1. Always format the cards in advance, to avoid starting to shoot then discovering it had some old junk.
    2. Store the blank cards face-forward. Used cards back-side forward.

Peekayoh - thanks for the clarification. I have had some trouble with 133x Kingstons loosing images later. Never caused an error on the buffer-write. So; maybe that means the Sony is more sophisticated and alerts you up-front if there were write-issues. (lucky I'm not saying that where the Canon users frequent)
    Lots of Canon DSLR stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am a little tired of constantly having to empty all my data files or rummaging through my bags for additional cards to cover my usage.

No, it not bragging rights. Any of you guys/gals can step up and do it, too. It's what I do nearly every single day. Picture that!
    what on earth are you shooting that you need 200gb of memory for one shoot ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

maths has never been my strong suit but if i'm not mistaken...

120gb = 120,000mb
    ~ 12mb per raw file on a d90
    = 10,000 images
    = 285 pics per day.

that's plenty !

even if you were shooting raw+jpeg thats around 20mb per shot which is still 6000 images @ 171 per day. still sufficient when you chimp as you go.
    Last edited by Rooz; 07-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    flickr

Gopher, I'll be away for 10 days in the Moselle Valley so I won't have access to a computer or burner.
    That's the reason for the battery driven Nexto device.

Rooz,your math is Ok as far as it goes but I meant if I was lucky enough to go on a 5 week Safari with the A900.
    Now we're talking 38MB RAW files and 48MB RAW+JPEG

yes, you indeed do have a problem. nice problem to have though.
    processing power on your pc will be your next nemesis i suspect.
    flickr