Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I sleep well knowing this ...

Hassle-Free Warranty - If for any reason a ProSpec card fails to perform as described due to craftsmanship or manufacturing defects, Calumet will replace the defective card, no questions asked (with the return of the original defective card).Warranty does not cover defects incurred by gratuitous abuse or improper use. Warranty covers the card only; Calumet Photographic is not responsible for damages or losses incurred from loss of information on the card.

Features:

* High data transfer rates up to 63 MB/s
    * UDMA enabled for faster transferring with UDMA host devices
    * Includes travel safe case to protect your card

They are within shopping distance and have provided excellent support, educational pricing, providing for most all of my needs.

"It's where the Pros go."
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    And I hope you don't have any issues with your Calumet card. All I'm saying is that a re-badged card may well have second or third grade components inside, you just don't know. After all the only reason they do it is to increase their margin.
    x2. we have many electronics and camera retailers who rebadge cards. i stay away from them for the very reasons you gave.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

If I were to buy a UDMA card, SLC type would the the only one I look for.
    I'm betting your Calument one is the MLC type...
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Hassle-Free Warranty - If for any reason a ProSpec card fails to perform as described due to craftsmanship or manufacturing defects, Calumet will replace the defective card, no questions asked (with the return of the original defective card).Warranty does not cover defects incurred by gratuitous abuse or improper use.................
    So If the card fails they will replace it if it's down to "craftmanship or manufacturing defects" and who decides that? Presumably they do and it's they who will decide whether the defects are "incurred by gratuitous abuse or improper use". Nor is there any mention any of the period of warranty.

On the other hand Sandisk's Lifetime Warranty conditions are are unequivocal...

"SanDisk warrants to the end user, that this product will be free from material defects in manufacture, will conform to SanDisk's published product specifications and be fit for normal use during the Warranty Period".

Look Don, if you want exercise your freedom of choice, that is undoubtably your right. However, do it without the Rose Tinted spectacles and at least get a price advantage out of it. You can buy 64GB cards for between $135 and $200 and they are likely to be on a par with the Calumet offering.

OK, some more thoughts on these new high-speed UDMA cards.

300x card 45MB/sec
    400x card 60MB/sec
    600x card 90MB/sec

The A900 has the fastest data pipeline in the Sony lineup and is capable of writing at round about 35MB/sec. Even so the camera is capable of 14 frames at 5fps before the frame rate drops.
    So the 300x (45MB/sec) card is more than adequate and the more expensive cards 60-90 MB/sec are overkill as far as camera performance goes.

The speed advantage of these cards, if any, is therefore, in transfer from card to computer.
    USB2 has an average sustained transfer rate around 25MB/sec.
    Firewire 400 is about 20% faster at 30MB/sec.
    If you are using any of these technologies for data transfer anything better than the 45MB/sec card is a waste of money.

To leverage the performance of the faster cards you need an....
    eSata Reader (70 MB/sec)
    Firewire 800 (70 MB/sec)
    PCI-X Bus card (100 MB/sec)
    USB 3.0 Reader (not yet proven)

Even then with the latter two, throughput may well be limited by your computer hard drive.
    Take a Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2GB drive. It averages 78MB/sec in benchmarks so real life performance is going to be less but it should max out the 400x 60MB/sec card. To max out the 600x 90MB/sec card you will need a Barracuda X2 or better yet a costly Western Digital Velociraptor and that's in the unlikely event that your reader will deliver the goods.

The point is that, unless you have invested serious money on the latest and best equipment, you've got zero chance of utilising the full performance of these faster cards. You also need to think about the importance of any gain you may realise in use. Assuming that you are maxing it out, you can empty an 8GB card in...
    2 min 58 secs (300x card 45MB/sec)
    2 min 13 secs (400x card 60MB/sec)
    1 min 28 secs (600x card 90MB/sec)

I ask you, is it worth the extra expense of these cards?
    If you hang back a while the prices will drop substantially and then I may ask the question again.

That what i'm thinking...........