Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon student discounts?

I heard that Canon and Nikon both offer major student discounts on their camera gear up to 50% off but that you have to get it through calling them only.

Has anyone heard of this? It would be awesome if it's true.
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

I seriously doubt it, but if you have a phone number to call it doesn't hurt to ask.
    I did a Google of educational and student discounts for Canon and if there was something available I'm pretty sure something would have shown up.

Adorama, B&H, and Calumet have student discount programs for qualifying schools, but supposedly the profit margin is so small on cameras and lenses that those sellers won't offer a discount on those items.

A few years ago I had purchased a couple of things from Calumet under their ESP program...
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/esp
    Mark........

Where did you hear it? What kind of student? Enrolled in a photo school? Or any college? Full-time or part-time? High school? How would the person prove they are a student? Sounds like a false rumor to me.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    Where did you hear it? What kind of student? Enrolled in a photo school? Or any college? Full-time or part-time? High school? How would the person prove they are a student? Sounds like a false rumor to me.
    Most "student discounts" apply to college students. One way to prove you're a student is by having a school email address. Even teachers that have a school email address can get the student discount.

When I purchased Photoshop and Lightroom a few years from their EDU store I had to submit a photocopy of my student ID (didn't have photo on it), an ID with a photo (drivers license with numbers blacked out), and a photocopy of the tuition paid bill. This was typical of other EDU purchases I've made.

If you're looking for a student discount on a DSLR, B&H has a few "EDU Specials" to select from.....
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/SL...2/N/4288587603
    Mark........