Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Did you lock it in place all the way ..you had that on another lens

Unhappy Tight as it gets ...

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Did you lock it in place all the way ..you had that on another lens
    Nah ... on all the way! This is really something strange. It goes back, tomorrow. Just unbelievable.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i had a zeiss lens failure from adorama aswell OOTB. QC is optional nowadays obviously.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs down Not "getting the picture" ...

Well,

here is what the LCD of the α850 looks like with the 70-400 G SSM lens mounted and DSLR turned on.

Yes, the lens is in AF mode ... yet that should not be of any difference .. there is nothing coming from it to the camera ... no aperture or AF info. The SSM is not moving.

I just cringe when I order stuff, these days.

I mean, it is obvious a set back like this ... really has minimal effect on my personal shooting, but still ... there are a lot of photographers out there, scraping to get their funds up for a lens like this ... and then, wham, they get it and it does not work. It happened to me with the 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM also, with the aperture hanging and effectively locked wide open. I ask, "Who is going to recommend something after a couple of experiences like that." Thousands of dollars in glass and the cheap stuff is working better! C'mon ... I have to shrug. SONY ... step it up, this is not good. Have someone go around and check the "in stock" inventory.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-14-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It's a conspiracy, that's what, a damn conspiracy!

Angry 2 for 2 ... on the real $$$ glass

Ask yourself, Peter ... "What are the odds?"

I have a 100% SONY lens failure rate from B&H ... but, not only with that, but with the "used" Minolta AF 24-105 f/3.5-4.5 "D" lens I purchased from their used lens department, rated as a 9+(effectively new) lens ... I receive it and the lens focus is so off, even the repair depot cannot fix it without using additional parts ... (which they could not get for it). I wound up with a 97% refund from SONY for that purchase. I still have the lens hood, lens bag and filter from that purchase, as the lens never made it back Pieces.

Other B&H associated fun:

The TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (MACRO) wound up having to be returned to TAMRON for a tweak to get the backfocus corrected. Three weeks later, it was, works great!

The SIGMA AF 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 DC EX wound up going back to SIGMA for a teak, as its focus was off, also. Three additional week later, it was, works great!

The TAMRON AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) went back to TAMRON for a tweak, but when I got it back, three weeks later, it was "better", but I still was not happy with its performance (that, obviously, was against much better lenses, of course), but another member of the forum was, so I sold it to him. As far as I know, still in use.

A transit survivor story: The TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD arrived in a semi crushed box. Even the UPS driver said he would take it back. I posted pictures of this one. It looked scary.

BEFORE OPENING ...

I opened the carton right in front of him and inspected the lens ... it had survived! Yay, for our team, eh?

Be it luck or something ... these experiences are trying and annoying. I am darn glad I am not ordering commercial aircraft, they would probably be falling out of the sky!

The only B&H associated lens successes I have enjoyed are the two new SIGMAs (12-24 & 24-70) lenses. They are "spot on" ... and I hope to keep them that way.

I ask you Peter ... with this kind of shipping/manufacturer track record ... I am stunned I have anything that works! They seem to arriving ... in pieces! Apparently, if it has B&H Video on the packing tape ... it gets the "treatment." Perhaps someone does not like these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    It's a conspiracy, that's what, a damn conspiracy!
    As I reconsider that, you may have a point.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2010 at 09:19 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Spooky, or what. Worrying, maybe.
    I think you should take steps to protect yourself from these heinous conspirators.
    Immediately send me all your Sony gear to put them off the scent and go hide in the cellar.

Question Better late than ... whenever?

Well, I have not been home, yet, but the UPS delivery came so late ... we almost missed it.

I just do not get it. They zig, we zag and vice-versa.

I know this will eventually settle down, but good grief!

So, like ... where do I send this stuff? LOL Oh yeah, that'll happen.

Tonight, I hope to get to fire up the Mecablitz 76, and I do mean FIRE! Whew! It should provide enough blaze for even the TAMRON Adaptall2 MF 200-500 f/6.9 lens, perhaps my darkest base lens of the bunch ... aside from the f/8 Reflexes. The TAMRON weighs 96 ounces ... no kidding. The a850 ... around 40, with the VG on it ... add that monster flash ... and you have a whole new way to spell ... b-a-c-k-a-c-h-e!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2010 at 07:23 PM.

flickr & Sdi

it was sent ups...no wonder it doesn't work

Red face Well ... the flash showed up

So ... when she asks you, with that high-pitched voice, "So, what do you want for Christmas, Honey?"

You just hand her a print of this image and say, "I was thinking ..."

The SONY α850, the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM, and the Metz mecablitz 76 MZ-5 with SONY Adapter. End of story!
    Well, just for the moment, of course. LOL I mean, c'mon, it is photography we are talking about, here.

Anyway, you can get feel for the size of this thing. It is cool. Takes about 2.5 hrs to charge the battery that goes in
    the stalk, from the bottom. There is a belt (or neck-strap) Power Pack P76 (purchased separately) that can take the
    place of the battery ... the manual states that it takes 12-hours for a solid 100% charge to juice up on it.

Also in the instruction manual, there are actually warnings that this flash can set off flammables and flash photography of
    moving vehicles can be dangerous, also, because of the momentary blindness it can cause to the vehicle operator.
    Obviously, you do not want to be in front of a vehicle this happens to.

Name:  blast flash.gif
Views: 85
Size:  12.5 KB

They also recommend a ten-minute cooling off period after a series of 20 flashes, to prevent overloading.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi