Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You can also check ebags.com, Zappos, and Sierra Outpost (US e-retailers) for discount prices on these bags. Sometimes they sell previous year's models at affordable prices.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

I just upgraded to the Lowepro Primus backpack from Kata 3-N-1 20 backpack. It retailed for $279, but got it on sale for $99. Definitely has the things you're looking for such as the tripod holder.

Check it out here: http://www.adorama.com/LPBPPPABL.html

I lugged my D700 with the 24-70 mounted, plus 105mm and 85mm, 2 SB-800s and my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod for my Hawaii trip. It gets heavy, but it was comfortable because of the support straps on your waist and chest. I also strapped my hoodie on the outside and there are plenty more compartments for your water bottle and other things.
    Nikon D700 | Nikon D90 | 14-24mm 2.8 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 35mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.4 | 105mm 2.8 Micro | 70-300mm VR | SB-800s | Tiffen UV Filter, ND and Polarizer set

"You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from."
    Joey Tribbiani

Visit My Flickin' Flickr Shots | My Blog | My Porto-folio (requires Flash)

Quote Originally Posted by anco85 View Post
    Umijim - I agree on the heavy part, but it's not so heavy that it's not practical.

As for the velcro, mine certainly does not suffer from that. Only velcro it has is to fix the dividers into different setups. It's a fantastic bag and I'll more than likely never feel the need to replace it.

I've dropped the bag in a pool and the inside was completely dry
    Your special Nikon Crumpler looks like the exception to the velcro rule. But it seems that model is not being made anymore.
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Advantages of not having a bag that looks like a camera bag are simply that it doesn't look like a camera bag. Anybody with a camera bag today has expensive gear in it otherwise they would have a P&S in their pocket. I know I will be able to beat a Crumpler back pack to death and it will look like some dodgy student back pack be stained and dirty and look like it will only have old McDonalds wrappers, a Playboy and an iPod in it but it will still protect my gear perfectly.
    Disadvantage if you have a Crumpler is that it might be stolen for the bag brand rather than any possible contents, if someone is familiar with how much they cost. :-)
    -Buckaroo Banzai

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by Myboostedgst View Post
    I am a big fan of the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW as it appears to be shallow, hold a body, a long lens and a couple of small lenses, a flash, and the tripod. It doesn't show if there is any pocket for a water bottle on the side though, which is unfortunate.
    I have the Lowepro Mini Trekker and can confirm it does not have a spot for your water bottle.

I also have the Slingshot 200. Both bags have been great to use and are of very high quality.

As a side issue, the only thing I would mention to those contemplating "shoulder-type" bags such as the Slingshot is to check you are happy with the shoulder that the bag is designed for (ie Left V Right).
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

I am the worst when it comes to bags. I have (or have owned) the following:

A Tamrac Adventure 7 (too small and uncomfortable). Also didnt like that you had to open the bag like a clam shell to get your kit. Liked the grip on the straps. That was it. GAVE AWAY

A Tamrac velocity (when I had a panasonic FZ20 - by the by, a great camera). Obviously too small for anything other than say a D3000 with a kit lens). SOLD

A crumpler pretty boy - too small for long trips. Could just about fit my D700 in there with 24-70 and possibly the flash. STILL OWN IT

From here on i realised I liked to carry a book or magazine with me, and possibly a water bottle (also had a load more kit...):

A Crumpler fourninety daily (L) - This is bigger, can fit stuff in there, but its one strap and sling bag. Does your back in or your chest (exacerbates heartburn for me across my chest). Still have this one. Amazingly well made and will out last me for sure. Bottom line, not very comfortable.

A Kata DR-467 - This was my favourite bag. VERY comfortable, well made (although it didnt feel as hard as the crumpler. It was just "smoother" to use).
    Only got rid of this before I went to live in hungary for 9 months, as I couldnt fit my new 17inch laptop in it. Shame though. Although now, it would NOT fit my D700 and FF lenses very well. Built in waterproof cover.
    http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp...photo&p_Id=401

Lowepro Fastpack 350 - very big. Big pouch for big water bottle, no built in waterproof cover, fit a 17inch laptop, or magazines and a top pouch for books, phone etc. However compartment for camera gear not massive. Struggled to fit my D700, 24-70, 70-200 in there. And now that I have the D80 with the 10-20 on it, I would have to put that all in the top pouch.
    Also, UNCOMFORTABLE on long trips. Back would sweat and the straps were not comfy. would end up with shoulder ache. Also, very bulky. Would knock people over when turning around...STILL OWN THIS. but will sell it I think
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...50,2087,14.htm

Today I bought a Lowepro Pro Runner 300. Pricey (100) but everything I want. Somewhere for a tripod (if I ever use one...), loads of space for my kit, great straps, built in waterproof cover, a compartment for phone etc, a separate compartment where I will put magazine/book and two side pockets (although the latter are not as big as the other lowepro, so it will have smaller water bottles in there...). Also, the padding on the back of the bag is far better. NO LAPTOP COMPARTMENT (But i didnt want/need that)
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...%20AW,2182.htm
    A decent review on my bag compared to a KATA i was thinking of too:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ka...er-300AW-13448

So in conclusion, I have chopped and changed for various reasons:

1 - to be able to carry things other than my camera with me
    2 - wanted a laptop compartment
    3 - changed to full frame
    4 - wanted less bulk.

I think I am now happy with my camera bag and will settle on this. I was going to get a Kata if I could of, but they are pricey.

One thing I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend is to try before you buy. Some of the purchases above have been on the internet which is part of the reason I have ended up changing a lot too.

Based on my purchase today, I would recommend the pro runner 200AW. Smaller than mine, will fit your kit and more, and has a tripod holder with a pocket (albeit small) that you could put your water in.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...%20AW,2181.htm

Hope this helps.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

My Kit in the Pro Runner 300AW

Enough room for :

D80 with 10-20
    D700 with sigma 70-200
    24-70
    SB600
    50 f1.4D

And more
    Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  451.4 KB
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

The main issue I have with most camera bags is that they are too "square".

That being said, I am completely happy with my Crumpler 5 million dollar bag.
    If I am asked to bring my camera to work though, I usually just stick my camera and flash into the simple messenger bag I use for day-to-day use.
    I would buy those hydration backpacks above if you are taking pictures that require day-long hikes to get to the location where you want to take photos, but I would be using only part of the backpack for my camera stuff.

A lot I think really depends on where and why you carrying your camera gear. In my case for going up small mountains (a full day hike) during my last vacation, I simply just carried my dSLR around my shoulder or neck.

Added: None of my comments would work for large pro lens
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Forgot a bag. Lowepro fastpack 200. God I am indecisive.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Herc, thanks a bunch for your experience with the different bags and listing what you liked/didnt like about each. You have truely made me second think what I am looking for in a bag.

I am going to be going to a local camera store in the next few days to try some bags on and see how they feel. After thinking about exactly what I would need it for, I have decided that it doesn't neccesarily have to be a backapck. I am not a long nature walk kind of guy, so even something like the Crumpler Million Dollar Home bags will work. The bag will mainly be used to store everything in around the home and allow ease of throwing all the gear in the car with only having to move one bag.

But, unfortunatly the bag will have to wait a week or two. Today the car developed some problems and I have to buy the parts and fix it next week on my off day. As soon as I find out what my available funds are I will continue looking for bags and make a purchase!

And K1W1, where is the review of the Crumpler?