Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So I took the tripod out to Venice and had a ball! We arrived at 8am on a Friday and left at 5pm on the Saturday, so only just over 30 hours. We got up at 6am to watch the sail in from the crows nest bar at the front of the ship and then jumped ship as soon as we docked. We nailed the traditional sights of Doges Palace, Basilica, Rialto bridge on the Friday morning and wandered the shops in the afternoon. This was the quality time with the missus before I was allowed out to play with the camera!

I was out from 7pm til 11pm, then sleep from midnight til 4am and back out again for more shooting. For the evening session I spent all my time around St Mark's square doing the standard gondola shots as the sun came down and trying to capture the gondolier's too. There was a stage setup in St Mark's for a fashion show which meant everything was well lit with a variety of colours to play with. Was a good evening shoot and good weather.

So it was then back to the cruise ship by midnight for 4 hours kip before out again walking round to the Piaza Roma to do the early shift. As I mentioned before, I was concerned about safety when wandering around in the dark early hours so I did book out a private tour guide. It was expensive but worth EVERY penny. While there wouldn't have been any problem with safety, that element of fear would have got in my way of getting off the beaten path or covering much ground - may just be me, but think i would've missed out. anyway, the tour was booked here:

http://www.theveniceexperience.com/New_photography.html

So what did I get? The main benefit beyon the security of a companion was not having to worry about being in the right place at the right time. The guide, Mike, knew the best route to catch the undisturbed canals well off the beaten track to get that perfect reflection as well as knowing where we should be when the sun started coming up etc. He's a fellow amateur photographer who paces everything around you and your ability. For me it was a case of tour guide but he explained how for others it can be a photography class with simple lessons like rule of thirds and using aperture priority. For those who don't know, it's invaluable.

So we were out for a good three hours and then sat down for a coffee and a croissant and chatted for a bit. Mike then headed home - probably, sensibly, to get a few hours shut eye - while I went back to Piaza Roma to do some more shooting. A podcast I watch had done a session on timelapse and some of the bridges on the grand canal offer a great opportunity to do this. Setting the tripod up and on a two second time lapse I let the camera rip through 1000 frames, occasionally panning and zooming.

So I then got back to the ship around 9:30am to grab a 30 minute lay down before heading out again with the missus to do some art galleries. Yes I was groggy and tetchy!

So some of the pics from the evening shoot are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky8...7624886663504/

I will aim to get the morning shoot up on flickr in the next week or so and hopefully the timelapse onto youtube. Will let you know!

Nice review. I've been considering the Feisol myself. I need something for travel and hiking. I have the Manfrotto 055 now which is nice for it's size (I'm 6'4), but it's not too fun to carry around. In addition to the height, I also like the thicker legs of the Feisol. I'd be worried about having trouble with that Gitzo moving in the sand when the waves hit it. I was considering one of the 4 section Gitzos a while back, but the price is too over the top for me.

Thanks for the review. It's nice to see everything side by side.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 09-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I've just brought an 055 4 section carbon fibre (055CXPRO4) and love it. I was just thinking as I was carrying it the other day how light it was compared to my camera with grip and 70-200 fitted. It's not a travel tripod but it's convinced me that you get what you pay for so when I'm looking for a travel tripod soon it will be amongst the brands suggested at the start of this thread that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Nice review. I've been considering the Feisol myself. I need something for travel and hiking. I have the Manfrotto 055 now which is nice for it's size (I'm 6'4), but it's not too fun to carry around. In addition to the height, I also like the thicker legs of the Feisol. I'd be worried about having trouble with that Gitzo moving in the sand when the waves hit it. I was considering one of the 4 section Gitzos a while back, but the price is too over the top for me.

Thanks for the review. It's nice to see everything side by side.
    At 6'4 I'd really recommend the Feisol. Was very light and extends to a good height. Having said that, you wouldn't have any worries with the gitzo or benro moving in the sand - it's very sturdy and any subsidence is going to hit any tripod. Once the camera is atop your tripod they're all pretty heavy - it's cheap bendy legs you'd need to watch out for.

If you are using a tripod in the sand/waves, just make sure you give it a good wipe down before folding away - the grit and salt water will bugger things up good and proper apparently!
    To help you appreciate your own photography... compare it to mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky83/