Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    now i got it. thanks for the link.
    just saw the review at dpreview. edit: read review...changed mind.

nice innovation though.
    Last edited by Rooz; 08-24-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Run to the local SONY store and get edja-macated.
    i did just that today don. well maybe not a sony store perse, but i took an a55 and nex5 out for a test drive. a55 was really a waste of time for me. too big to be a P&S and too small to be a real camera. i get where this fits, but its not with me so i barely touched it.

the nex 5 on the other hand...this camera is badass.

pros:
    the size is quite staggering. its small, and i mean small. yet still surprisingly comfortable to hold. its significantly smaller than a gf1 which i didnt realise until i put them side by side...hell its not much bigger than my lx3 !!
    the screen is great. would have been nice for it to swivel properly but the tilt is something at least.
    16mm lens is great ! more pancakes pls !!!!
    AF is excellent.
    it feels well built to me.

cons:
    wtf with the dumbass controls ? clearly designed by the janitor while he was on cocaine. they have made this thing bloody hard to use INTENTIONALLY !! i know that sony have released a firmware update to address some of the problems but not enuf !
    the lens while being 16mm is a great focal length, not making it an f2 aperture is a big oversight imo.
    they need more pancake options...a small fast 50 or 45mmm and we're gold.
    no hotshoe.
    flash...pissoff sony with your proprietory obsession.
    flash mounting - a ROYAL PITA like you wouldnt believe. its no easy task to get this thing on and off if you have fingers larger than a 12yo boys.
    pisspoor jpeg processing showing sonys lak of understanding of photography in general...i'd just shoot it in raw so not so big a deal to me but hell, they really make a mess of things.

i will wait for the nex7 so they can hopefully iron some stuff out but let me tell you something, if sony get this line right there is NOTHING like it on the market right now and they will clean up. i LOVED it...and despite the "cons" i was very close to buying one anyway; it was so cool to use.

the silly thing is that sony missed the boat imo. if they got this thing right from the get go they would have had a massive jump on everyone but as it stands now, by the time the nex7 hits the shelves someone else will have made something like it and maybe steal their market !!

its just monumentally frustrating that this camera is SOOOOOO close to being the perfect pro's P&S and its sonys own decisions rather than the cameras performance per se that let it down.

BRING ON THE NEX 7 !!!
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz,

Yeah, when they release a 50mm 1.8 I'm getting one. Also, there's a new firmware update coming out very soon that will fix most of the control problems. Customizable buttons. But yeah, they release a 50mm 1.8 and I'm buying a NEX5, screw waiting for a NEX7.

Rooz, I think you're reflecting the general consensus.
    NEX is good but could have been GREAT!
    At least, that is looking at it from a more advanced user point of view.
    Not sure how less experienced users are faring but sales seem good.
    I almost got one mainly for macro and my old lenses but didn't in the end.
    Someone is sure to bring out a T/S adapter.
    I'm keeping my eyes open for a s/h bargain.
    There again, SLT gives better advantage for Macro but no help with old lenses.
    Nothing is perfect.

Having just purchased a NEX-5 (instead of the A33/55) I have to disagree with this ...

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    It's a prism mirror...no moving parts...used in cinematography for decades.
    There's no such thing as a "prism mirror". A prism (in a camera) is a solid "lump" of glass with silvered exterior facets used to deviate a light beam internally.

A pellicle mirror is often just a partially silvered, ultra-thin mylar film used to split a light beam.

Two totally different animals. Sorry.

E

see post 12....&13