Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No, not a prism mirror.
    It's very similar to the current mirror which splits the light between OVF and AF Sensors.
    In this case the beam is split between Main Sensor and AF Sensors.
    So both have a translucent mirror so far as I can see.

call it what you want

it is a prism in the meaning that it splits the light beams
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellicle_mirror
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 08-23-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Attached Images Attached Images  

the posibilities are endless..lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

New Sony Alpha 55 and Alpha 33 EVF DSLRs to feature fixed Translucent Mirror
    read about it here.

Ha! AP removed the article, they must have jumped the gun a bit.
    I should have copied it.
    Oh well, it's in the cache as follows,
    "Sony is set to introduce shooting speeds of up to 10fps, as well as video, in its latest Alpha DSLR cameras, the Alpha 55 and Alpha 33, by using a new non-moving 'translucent' mirror. Echoing the technology of the pellicle mirror in Canon's EOS RT of 1989, Sony's new semi-transparent mirror allows light to be fed simultaneously to a camera's imaging sensor and AF system, removing the need for a moving mirror and providing the potential for much improved focus tracking as well as active AF in Live View and video modes.

The Sony Alpha 33 and Alpha 55 will be the first Sony DSLR cameras to offer a video capture facility. By using what Sony calls 'Translucent Mirror Technology', phase detection autofocus during video recording becomes possible for the first time in a DSLR camera. The company says this new technology will significantly out-perform the contrast detection AF systems currently used by other manufacturers for focusing during video capture.

Eliminating the requirement for mirror movement between frames has enabled Sony engineers to achieve high frame rates in these two new cameras: the Alpha 55 will be capable of 10fps in Continuous Priority mode with tracking AF, and the Alpha 33 up to 7fps in the same mode.

In another unusual move Sony has equipped its new DSLR models with electronic viewfinders instead of optical finders. The 1.15 million-dot 'Tru-Finders' will provide 100% image coverage, a digital level gauge and grid line display options.

The 3D Sweep Panorama mode that was first seen in the DSC-WX5 and the company's NEX micro system cameras is also to be incorporated into the new Alpha bodies, as will SteadyShot, an anti-dust system and auto-HDR modes.

Of the two cameras the Alpha 55 is the higher specified, featuring a Sony Exmor HD APS-C size 16.2 million-pixel CMOS sensor, whilst the Alpha 33 has a 14.2 million-pixel CMOS sensor. Each camera will have a sensitivity range of ISO 100-12,800, which can be extended to ISO 25,600 by using multi-frame noise reduction mode.

The tilting screens of previous Sony Alpha cameras have also been upgraded and the 3in 921,000-dot screens now have both a tilt and swivel action.

The two new models will be available in the UK from September. Sony has yet to confirm pricing."
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 08-23-2010 at 06:12 PM.

sorry i asked cos i still dont get it...lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe I'll have to wait until there are proper pics of they actually come out!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Time to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    sorry i asked cos i still dont get it...lol
    Run to the local SONY store and get edja-macated.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I don't know if you guys are pulling my leg or not. I think so but in case not ...

The big advantage of the arrangement is that that there is an uninterrupted feed to both main Sensor and to the PDAF Sensors.
    The EVF is fed by the main sensor so you get uninterrupted view and it can be used for video framing.
    The PDAF sensors can quickly (?) and continuously track and focus movement in video and predictive AF is much easier.
    With no moving mirror, it becomes easy to achieve 10fps (and more) whilst the AF continues to track and there is no blackout so you can continue to frame and track as well.

Downside is possibly the EVF, we'll have to see how it does.
    Also there is a one third to half a stop light loss to the Main Sensor because of the non-moving mirror.
    Sony's Patent application allowed for a flip up mirror during still imaging but there is as yet no indication that this is an option.
    It's small with the small NEX battery.

I guess you Video buffs will be real excited by this camera.

Ha! I just saw this on Luminous Landscapes
    "But on the A55, because the phase detection AF sensors is able to see the subject continuously while either shoot stills or video, it can track the subject very accurately. According to Sony it can track a moving subject at between 30-40 MPH while shooting 16MP stills at 10 FPS. When shooting 1080P video it can continuously track a moving subject at up to 50 MPH. I'm not usually given to hyperbole in these reviews, but this is a stunning capability, and has to be experienced oneself to be really appreciated the breakthrough that it represents!"
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 08-24-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: afterthought