Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Sony NEX-3 is the best four third?

Finally I get my new Sony NEX-3. I have to say I'm very happy so far with my choice, and this camera is my first four third camera.

Why is NEX-3 better than other competitors:

The Sony Alpha Nex has better photo and video performance than Panasonic GF1 and Oly E-PL1, a smaller form factor than both and is cheaper than the Panasonic (though slightly more expensive than the Olympus which cut its price when the Sony was announced).

As for the Nex-3 vs Nex-5, 95% of people should get the Nex-3 because they won't benefit from the higher 1080i video resolution in the Nex-5 (not really a noticeable difference to the typical user vs the 720p resolution in the Nex-3). And with 1080i, you'll use up your storage space faster because of the larger file sizes it requires ( NEX-5 has got 4 stars from experts and many of them established 1080i standard useless, check it here: http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Ca...AlphaNEX-5.php ). This is the biggest difference between the two models and will actually be a negative feature upgrade for most people because of the disk space issue.

the nex3 is not a 4/3rds camera.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Nor is it a Micro 4/3, for that matter. But yeah, ILC. Still want Jeff to make that an option in the Reviews & Info section since there are so few of them right now.

First off, congrats on your new camera, especially as it's even better than you thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by karl10 View Post
    ...........As for the Nex-3 vs Nex-5, 95% of people should get the Nex-3 because they won't benefit from the higher 1080i video resolution in the Nex-5 (not really a noticeable difference to the typical user vs the 720p resolution in the Nex-3). And with 1080i, you'll use up your storage space faster because of the larger file sizes it requires ( NEX-5 has got 4 stars from experts and many of them established 1080i standard useless, check it here: http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Ca...AlphaNEX-5.php ). This is the biggest difference between the two models and will actually be a negative feature upgrade for most people because of the disk space issue.
    That's a pretty brave statement and, although I'm no video buff, I'm pretty certain I disagree.
    Surely it depends on how you intend to view the results of your efforts and in most cases that will be on a 1080p TV.
    If you have a 720p TV, then downsampling a 1080i signal will give a better result than will upsampling 720p video to a 1080p TV.

aps-c......
    Imaging Sensor : Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor (23.4 X 15.6mm)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 08-22-2010 at 11:55 PM.

get the 5 or wait for 7..

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    First off, congrats on your new camera, especially as it's even better than you thought.

That's a pretty brave statement and, although I'm no video buff, I'm pretty certain I disagree.
    Surely it depends on how you intend to view the results of your efforts and in most cases that will be on a 1080p TV.
    If you have a 720p TV, then downsampling a 1080i signal will give a better result than will upsampling 720p video to a 1080p TV.

SonyNut, I'm guessing you mean wait for a NEX-7.
    I know people have said that's a likely scenario but I'm a bit doubtful at the moment whether it will come.
    The A33/55 "Transluscent" cameras seem to be a better bet (still rumoured) and take A-mount lens without an adapter.
    The main advantage for a NEX-7 would be e-mount if you're upgrading from NEX-3/5 i.e. you have the lenses and they have silent focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    "Transluscent" cameras .
    ok...i'll ask the stupid question...wtf does that mean ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I have no idea but it's the term being applied to these new cameras (A33 and A55).
    It seems they use a pellicle mirror to provide PDAF during Video and the rest of the light goes to the main sensor (transluscent??).
    It's currently unclear whether or not the mirror can be lifted for stills but the quoted frame rate is 10fps which I believe is mirror down.
    Of course they have an EVF rather than OVF.
    Non of this is substantiated by formal announcement.

its a prism mirror.......no moving parts...used in cinematography for decades..
    it it the only true way to see what the film is seeing..
    i am waiting for the a55 as well, if not a a99..lol

the nice thing about the e mount is the ability to use it with just about any lens you want, due to the short register distance..
    you are just an adapter away from using old minoltas..new alpha glass.nikon canon telescope microscope ect
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 08-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.