Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation Could the SONY "Alpha One" really be near?

HEARSAY ALERT! (In other words, believe it when it happens!)

Recent word-on-the-street is saying that SONY is submitting patent for a Pellicle-based DSLR.

Name:  Alpha-One.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  72.2 KB

If this is really true, this could be the butt-whopping, dream shot of achieving ~14 fps from the current 24.6MP Full Frame Sensor. I would love to see TWIN-matching RAID0 memory slots just to quickly improve the overall write speed and hold all those wonderful images! A camera with that kind of speed and resolution just allows for sports images unlike anything currently available in a true "stabilized" hand held format. It would be a true stake in the ground for consumer quality photography and give the pros serious cause for reconsidering SONY as the camera to hang the business on.

A successfully matched, proprietary twin/quad strobing, battery-conserving, "LED-powered" external flash would just blow the competition out of the water! The roar would be deafening as the "Alpha One" liquefies any contenders.

I'll admit, recent events have not instilled much faith or patience in current product offerings, these days, but with a powerhouse optical device like this coming this Fall ...

ALL IS FORGIVEN!

My faith hath been RESTORED!

Personally, if they did go with a number "1" on this design, I would integrate it into the grip ...

and then advertise with something like ...

Get your hand around the new NUMBER ONE camera in SPORTS ... the ALPHA ONE!

Name:  Alpha-One grip photon splash.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  333.3 KB

Until now, only those photons you always missed knew what really happened!

Then, I'd wrap the entire ad/commercial in the clearest, fastest, best-focused, f/1.8 indoor, sequence-shots ever produced.

Corny, yeah, but absolutely demoralizing to the rest of the manufacturers. I tell ya ... "the glass is all ready and just waiting for this ride!" This could actually make photography ... well, the word "FUN" comes to mind.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

In a word, Don, the answer is no.

1. Field of the Invention

The present invention relates to an image pickup apparatus such as a digital camera.

2. Description of the Related Art

There is proposed a digital camera which is capable of simultaneously performing phase difference detecting AF by a phase difference detecting AF sensor and live view in which time-series images for determining a picture composition are electronically displayed on a display (for example, Japanese Unexamined Patent Application Publication No. 2006-197406).

In a digital camera described in Japanese Unexamined Patent Application Publication No. 2006-197406, a half mirror (Pericle mirror) is provided so as to be fixed in a camera body. Light reflected on the half mirror reaches an AF sensor unit to be used for phase difference detecting AF. On the other hand, light passing through the half mirror reaches an image pickup device to be used for generating subject images. Time-series subject images to be generated are displayed as live-view images on a display such as a liquid crystal display.

This an extract from Sony's Patent

Note that we already have a Pellicle mirror splitting light between the OVF and AF. This new method splits the light sending the majority to the Main Sensor and the rest for AF and metering which means the OVF disappears in favour of an EVF and Sony also mentions that the mirror will lift for taking stills. The main thrust, therefore, is to achieve continuous Phase Detect AF and continuous Metering for Video.

I doubt that 14fps is achievable with a lifting mirror but it's possible that there may be a mode which delivers higher frame rates without lifting the mirror, albeit with a reduction in available light; this may not be a problem except in low light.

In any event the lack of an OVF means this will not be regarded as a class leading stills camera unless Sony can deliver something not yet seen in an EVF.

lol gadget man strikes again.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr