Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sigma 10-20 problem or not????

Hello,

I bought the Sigma 10-20 F 3.5 before going on a cruise. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to test it before the trip. Attached are two examples where there is extreme distortion. Shots taken without a person seem fine. Shots taken where the person was in the center of the frame seem fine. Both shots were taken at 17mm. I have a 16-85 Nikon, and have never had any issues at 16.

Bottom line, do you think I have a defective lens, or is this what I have to expect from an extreme wide angle?

Probably a stupid question, but is there any way to fix this post processing?

I am about to head to Banff, and it really makes me think twice about using this lens with people and scenery.

Thanks for any advice.

Kcbryan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Addition

Sorry the pics are so big. I guess I should have resized them. I should have mentioned that I was shooting with a Nikon D80.

Thanks,

Those shots look fairly normal to me, though the scene doesn't really show distortion - try a brick wall to really see what's happening. The Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 actually has fairly low distortion for an ultrawide zoom, with minimum at around 15mm. There's a detailed analysis on the SLRgear review here.

For comparison, the Nikon 16-85 has rather more at the wide end. See here.