Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Wouldn't it be interesting if:

Leica came out with the digital equivalent of the old CL?

We were talking about this the other day. There's a huge gap between the M8 and the no viewfinder/rangefinder point and shoots. Sort of the Leica equivalent of a G10 with interchangeable lenses.

I would buy one!
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

So here it is, after PhotoExpo, Photokina and whatever photo show, and I was hoping Leica would sneak out an smaller, less expensive, rangefinder. No, we get a green M8...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken. View Post
    ...I was hoping Leica would sneak out an smaller, less expensive, rangefinder....
    Less expensive Leica? They are called Panasonic.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Maybe. Granted the CL was the weird cross breed of Minolta and Leica. The Leica branded version was "the one" to have of the two. I can see a Leica version of a micro four thirds...

There needs to be a digital rangefinder with M-mount under the $2000 USD price point. Since the Voigtlander Bessa in M-mount is $600 USD, theoretically it would be possible to get a digital sensor + other associated electronics in the camera body for under $1400/unit + body cost in mass production.

Cosina/Voigtlander/Zeiss should look into doing this.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

I have nothing against Panasonic and they make some sweet cameras. But ""Lumix" just doesn't have the same emotional impact as "Leica". I just want one with a few settings other than "auto" in a price range less than the downpayment on a new motorcycle...