Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Angry Rock my world!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Only towards their new DSLR bodies. Minolta I love! Sony....I never liked. I only started out with Sony cause I always liked Minolta.
    Too bad all the awesome Minolta Glass and CZ can't be put to good use with newer and better bodies!

"Too bad" is an amazingly casual way to put it. The anger level for the sheer expense we are talking about defies explanation or description.

It's almost like buying a Canon EOS DSLR camera ... and finding you cannot use all your EF-glass on it! The cheapie EF-S works just ... fine?

Any other torture of the masses you want to suggest?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Minolta Glass and CZ
    WORKS FINE ON MY A900

EVEN NIKON GLASS WORKS..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Minolta Glass and CZ
    WORKS FINE ON MY A900......
    Precisely, and on my A700 too.

Only towards their new DSLR bodies. Minolta I love! Sony....I never liked. I only started out with Sony cause I always liked Minolta.
    Too bad all the awesome Minolta Glass and CZ can't be put to good use with newer and better bodies!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "Too bad" is an amazingly casual way to put it. The anger level for the sheer expense we are talking about defies explanation or description......
    It would be a complete understatement to say I'm amazed by these comments. A newer and better camera body is unlikely to take better pictures. It may improve the picture taking process and may make it easier to succeed in more challenging situations but little more. If you can't take a decent image with your current DSLR, changing it for the latest, flashiest model will not help you.

That's not to say I don't want to see some new toys, oops, bodies but let's not get carried away with ludicrous rhetoric.

It's not about the better picture. It's more about being competitive.
    Would a newcomer take Sony seriously if they don't have any current bodies that compete directly with Canikon?
    Especially with the mis-information sales people are spreading and the lack of knowledge at the Sony Style stores?

I went into the Sony Store less than 3 weeks ago asking if the NEX will take all A-mount lenses and all 3 goons in there said they will mount all current lenses. None of them had a clue that an adapter was required.

The glass is there. But the bodies aren't. Sure you can get the a850/900....but then there is nothing in between since they discontinued the a700.

I only say this cause you see Sony defectors on POTN. And almost all of them are newbies. Half the time I want to tell them they are idiots for listening to whoever that told them Canikon is better. But I don't cause I know that in the end of the day, Canikon is more accessible and Canon has cheaper lenses.
    Not to say they are all gonna be pro some day but at some point they got brain washed or they just woke up and realized that it's either the a550 or the a850/900 and nothing in between.
    Last edited by Elisha; 06-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "Too bad" is an amazingly casual way to put it. The anger level for the sheer expense we are talking about defies explanation or description.

It's almost like buying a Canon EOS DSLR camera ... and finding you cannot use all your EF-glass on it! The cheapie EF-S works just ... fine?

Any other torture of the masses you want to suggest?
    The only EF-S lenses I'm interested in and own is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.
    Absolutely no interest in UWA for now.
    I rather buy all EF glass anyway cause like you always say.....FF is the future!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

It's not about the better picture. It's more about being competitive.........
    But that's not what you said.

Would a newcomer take Sony seriously if they don't have any current bodies that compete directly with Canikon?
    I'd be really surprised if "newcomers" were buying A700/A900 rather than entry level.

Especially with the mis-information sales people are spreading and the lack of knowledge at the Sony Style stores?
    I went into the Sony Store less than 3 weeks ago asking if the NEX will take all A-mount lenses and all 3 goons in there said they will mount all current lenses. None of them had a clue that an adapter was required.
    Yes, I hear that US SonyStyle are pretty bad, presumably the Managers are only interested in volume sellers.

The glass is there. But the bodies aren't. Sure you can get the a850/900....but then there is nothing in between since they discontinued the a700.

I only say this cause you see Sony defectors on POTN. And almost all of them are newbies. Half the time I want to tell them they are idiots for listening to whoever that told them Canikon is better. But I don't cause I know that in the end of the day, Canikon is more accessible and Canon has cheaper lenses.
    Not to say they are all gonna be pro some day but at some point they got brain washed or they just woke up and realized that it's either the a550 or the a850/900 and nothing in between.
    It's clear that Sony slipped up big time in leaving a gap between the A700 and A7xx and we can only speculate on the reasons. New users will be buying entry level and existing users will either not mind and wait to see what comes along or switch if they have no great investement in lenses. C'est la vie!

I never once mentioned IQ. It's automatically assumed that the comments here are about competitiveness since we are talking about the lack of the a700 successor and semi-pro models.

Sony Style Canada is just as bad. Also most newbies nowadays have more money than brains.

One good example is a fellow on POTN who bought a T1i and heard the 7D was better. He exchanged for the 7D and then heard FF was better and he exchanged the 7D for the 5D2.
    Then less than a week later he started a thread about how FF was not all that it was cut out to be all sorts of nonsense!

And since Sony has way too many entry level bodies, it's really confusing for someone just starting the game.
    It's a smart move on their part to saturate the market....but what about the loyalists who want to keep moving forward but not quite want FF yet. Especially birders who would benefit more from a crop and would like a well built camera with somewhat environmental sealing?
    Last edited by Elisha; 06-19-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I never once mentioned IQ. It's automatically assumed that the comments here are about competitiveness since we are talking about the lack of the a700 successor and semi-pro models.
    Elisha, when you say "Too bad all the awesome Minolta Glass and CZ can't be put to good use with newer and better bodies!" it's hard to imaging that you are talking anything other than IQ. I merely point out that those of us with A700/850/900 are already putting Minolta G and Zeiss to very good use, and the same can be said of anyone using an A100 or above.

The lack of an A700 successor debacle has been beaten to death and even a Sony Director practically admitted to the gaffe. You either hate the lack or take a more relaxed view and simply wait to see what emerges. In any case, I don't think that 3 years is an unreasonable time frame between upgrades in this price bracket.
    Sony Style Canada is just as bad. Also most newbies nowadays have more money than brains.
    One good example is a fellow on POTN who bought a T1i and heard the 7D was better. He exchanged for the 7D and then heard FF was better and he exchanged the 7D for the 5D2.
    Then less than a week later he started a thread about how FF was not all that it was cut out to be all sorts of nonsense!

And since Sony has way too many entry level bodies, it's really confusing for someone just starting the game. It's a smart move on their part to saturate the market....
    "One swallow does not make a summer" as they say. This is no great example to prove your point that "you see Sony defectors on POTN. And almost all of them are newbies" or that "Also most newbies nowadays have more money than brains". If that were the case the market for entry level cameras would be dead, which it's not. As to whether there are too many entry level cameras and whether it confuses people, I wouldn't care to second guess Sony. When you have progressed to the A700 and above I don't think you really look that hard at the low end stuff any more. I do, however, look at the A5xx and NEX which does give some encouraging clues as to where Sony is currently at, although I still could care less about Video.
    but what about the loyalists who want to keep moving forward but not quite want FF yet. Especially birders who would benefit more from a crop and would like a well built camera with somewhat environmental sealing?
    The Loyalist will no doubt grumble a bit but continue taking excellent pictures with whatever he/she has.
    The A700 does have environment seals although not described as waterproof; mine's been wet a few times and there are plenty of stories documenting good weather resistance. Of course, if you have a cheap, poorly sealed lens, you may have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Yes, well, DPR seem to be lukewarm about anything other than CaNikon, try this alternative viewpoint.
    thanks. that does present a different viewpoint. although the iso tests are typically appalling from these sorts of reviews...12800 in what is iso 100 conditions. an impressive start to a very exciting new category. their next version may be a real killer. i'll definately be interested in it if they can make a faster pancake.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

True, high ISO is of little import in the noon day sun.

As it stands, NEX only makes sense from a P&S perspective and the three (four if you count the fish eye adapter) lenses reflect that. However, by enabling a RAW mode, Sony are surely signalling that some high quality fast primes are likely. Something like a small 20-40mm f2.8 G zoom would be interesting as well.

BTW, I wonder how long it will take for Event Organisers to ban NEX.

Talking about what may be, Sony Alpha HD A33 and A55 cameras?