Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down SONY's "Intro Model of the Month" Club

Well, maybe not that often, but this continual barrage of low end (Intro) DSLRs is getting quite tiresome.

A tweak here and a tweak there, the DSLR becomes what the nonsensical point & shoots have been. I mean let's do a "snapshot" of what's out there.

INTRO-ducing

α200 (Jan '08)
    α230 (Apr '09)
    α290 (Jun '10)
    α300 (Apr '08)
    α330 (Apr '09)
    α350 (Apr '08)
    α380 (Apr '09)
    α390 (Jun '10)

There was only one α700 (Sept 07)and it was the "bell-ringing addition to the whole line-up! <- and they discontinued it (Jan '10) with no suitable replacement. (slapping head - DOH! )

Let's face it, if you cannot cut your teeth on the α550 ... you probably should not be shooting through a DSLR, anway!

There, I said it ... BUY ONE and quit worry about a couple hundred dollars that you are probably wasting in texting all your buddies about all the "imposed" limitations of your new INTRO camera. Quit ALL the texting and pay attention to your driving, will ya? Just wait til you get home and send them a picture!

One thing they do have is the fact that most of the "center mass" of these INTRO cameras remains the same. You can use the same lens and most of the same accessories with these cameras ---
    and STILL GET THE SAME LAME SHOT!

I mean, you have the silly NEX ... and now two more silly intros? -LOL-not! Who's using this repeating, low-level stuff?

Is anyone really working in the upper offices of the SONY building?

Name:  SONY Corp.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  84.3 KB

or is all we can expect is an endless parade of tweaks to the toys? I thank God they are running out of numbers. At least this is a "finite" issue.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i'm WAITING FOR THe a999 65mp fullframe hd vid / still

wait till they change mounts and really piss everyone off..lol

Lightbulb Eliminating misunderstanding at Tokyo Corporate!

I know ... what do I want, right?

私は私ほしい何が、右知っているか。

Simply put, I want a decently noise-managed SENSOR on both the APS-C and the Full Frame with a decent JPEG engine, so the camera can deliver the goods.

簡単に言えば、私は適当なJPEGエンジンを搭載するAPS-Cそして完全なフレーム両方の適当に騒音管理されたセンサーがほしいと思う、従ってカメラは商品を渡すこと ができる。

I mean, if I want a RAW and all the processing that goes with it, I know what switch to flip, but when I want a quick shot.

私は、私知っている意味する私は速い打撃がほしいと思うとき弾くべきどんなスイッチをしかしか未加工がほし いと思えば、そしてすべての処理をそれがそれと合っていれば。

I should have a reliable alternative with that also.

私はそれの信頼できる代わりをまた有するべきである。

I mean, it is not video!

私は、それではないビデオ意味する!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-12-2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Is anyone really working in the upper offices of the SONY building,

Name:  SONY Corp.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  84.3 KB

The wankers are probably too busy sending memos to security guards to not allow photos of their building.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

on this occasion you are right Don. 2 stupid new editions with cosmetic changes alone. it defies belief. either sony are stupid or they are working under the assumption that consumers are...obviously its the latter.

the NEX's have also had a very lukewarmreview over at dpreview. so even though they got the concept right, they screwed up the execution.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Maybe they don't know how to make a higher end camera with newer features?

The a700 was an obvious rip-off of an older Minolta design. The a900 is just the a700 with a FF sensor and a top LCD.

Unless they have something big but just keeping it secret.
    I was expecting the successor to the a700 during the World Cup since they were promoting twilight football and all. But seems like they're promoting their 3D TV more!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I have to say, Elisha, that you've become quite negative about Sony since your change to Canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Maybe they don't know how to make a higher end camera with newer features?
    I wouldn't describe the A700/900 as "low end".
    I can see that (after 3 years) the A700 needs an upgrade in the metering, AF and ISO departments but what are these "newer features" you crave.
    The a700 was an obvious rip-off of an older Minolta design. The a900 is just the a700 with a FF sensor and a top LCD.
    A rip-off? Well, the A700 reeks of Minolta but isn't that why Sony acquired what remained of Minolta and shouldn't we be pleased about it?
    The a900 is just the a700 with .... and that makes it bad how? Still the best choice for Landscape and Studio work at the price.
    Unless they have something big but just keeping it secret.
    I was expecting the successor to the a700 during the World Cup since they were promoting twilight football and all. But seems like they're promoting their 3D TV more!
    I, too, was expecting the A7xx for the WC but it seems they are saving it for Photokina in September.
    I doubt there's any big secret though, just a general upgrade plus video and maybe some fripperies like HDR, Face Detection, Panorama and the like. But, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    ....... the NEX's have also had a very lukewarmreview over at dpreview. so even though they got the concept right, they screwed up the execution.
    Yes, well, DPR seem to be lukewarm about anything other than CaNikon, try this alternative viewpoint.

I don't think Sony screwed up at all unless you come at it from a seasoned DSLR user point of view rather than the P&S perspective. The camera is already going down well with its intended market, even in Japan, so it will be interesting to see the June figures for Japans top ten.

Another video.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I have to say, Elisha, that you've become quite negative about Sony since your change to Canon.
    Only towards their new DSLR bodies. Minolta I love! Sony....I never liked. I only started out with Sony cause I always liked Minolta.
    Too bad all the awesome Minolta Glass and CZ can't be put to good use with newer and better bodies!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR