Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: 18-250mm

18-250mm

After much review of this site, and lot's of noise from certain members. I am looking into the 18-250mm lenses. I see that Sony has one now supposidly based on the Tamron lens, but is reported to be faster and less noise (?). I have also noticed that Sigma has the same lens but more expensive than both the others. Anybody got any input on these three versions of the 18-250mm lens? is the Sigma better than the other two and worth the extra money?
    Last edited by joenmell; 06-08-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

Lightbulb Noise? Who's making noise?

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    After much review of this site, and lot's of noise from certain members. I am looking into the 18-250mm lenses. I see that Sony has one now supposedly based on the Tamron lens, but is reported to be faster and less noise (?).
    Joe, there is no "supposedly" about it. If you disassemble the SONY 18-250 lens, it has components 95% identical to the TAMRON 18-250. Does that sound like some kind of "accidental" copy? How far does "supposed" go these days? As far as a noise comparison, I suppose you would have to do a side-by-side to reveal that, because you will find, as I recently did, that identical lenses make different amounts of noises. Just depends on who and when they were constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    I have also noticed that Sigma has the same lens but more expensive than both the others. Anybody got any input on these three versions of the 18-250mm lens? Is the Sigma better than the other two and worth the extra money?
    As far as I have determined, the TAMRON 18-250, having a six-year warranty and outstanding results for this kind of lens, would be my pick, every time, especially concerning the SONY-mount.

If it were Canon or Nikon, the choice would be the TAMRON 18-270 VC lens, to get some stability to those two brands.

There has be a good deal of review for the super-zoom. Stay away from 18-200s, 28-200s, and the 28-300s. The 18-250 (270) is a much more refined generation lens. I have owned them all (TAMRON) ... and that's my nickel's worth.

Good luck with your new TAMRON lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-07-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I thank you. I knew I could count on you for input, but, you seemed to have skirted around comments on the Sigma lens. Do you have any experience with it? have you ever tested it yourself, or anyone you know? I had spoke with you previous about this Tamron, and I do feel it is an excellent choice, just wanting to ensure that there has not been a relatively newcomer to the "super-zoom" Sony mount that I haven't researched.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Red face SIGMA's version of the 18-250

Joe, I'll be honest, here ... I have kind of gotten away from testing this level of lens and most of the "APS-C only" lenses. In fact, my most recent APS-C only lens purchase was the unique Samyang MF 8mm Fisheye, which delivers a really nice, but effective affordable result. Currently, I need lenses that I can directly swap between the α850 and α700 and most of the exclusive ones (except for the T17-50mm and S10-20mm) have been sold, to reduce weight. I am going to have to leave it to YOU and others to answer the call for any 'new" APS-C lens input and step back. I sold my TAMRON 18-250 with the α100, about a year ago. It was a terrific lens on that camera.

There are only a few known SONY users in the area and I am pretty positive no one had the SIGMA-version of the lens for discussion. My "solution suggestion" for you would be to purchase both the TAMRON and the SIGMA from a common source (perhaps B&H) and then return "the one" that does not do well or lacks what you need.

Yes, you may be out a few hundred dollars for the test, on your credit card (you will eventually get your refund), but you should have your answer. Often, it is relatively impossible to have both lenses available to you in a store (especially in the SONY-mount) and you have to resort to such "directly mailed" examination.

The fact of the matter is that you seem quite serious about your choice and having YOU personally conduct your own examination seems totally fair. Let's face it, without a solid side-by-side test published, that you can refer to, the yoke of responsibility is yours, this time.

Personally, I have spent many hours pouring over lens' results and trying to focus in on the most "bang for the buck," just like you are now. Any "hero" can buy top drawer glass and probably get the result they seek with it. I understand "bang for the budget," too. If you do come across a direct comparison without having to resort to doing this yourself, please add a link to this thread so that the silent group of others may benefit from your research, saving the rest time and money in these kind of comparisons.

The biggest avantage I can see about the SIGMA is that is has OS - "Optical Stabilization" for the Canon and Nikon mounts, which TAMRON has in it 18-270mm VC version. I'd save the money with the "vanilla"-version on the SONY DSLR.

BTW: You may try and ask on the Dyxum site, and see if some of our overseas friends have had this lens to comment on. They seem to be big on SIGMA alternatives. Simply join the board, review the past few months of "Lenses" forum postings, to see if someone has asked about this comparison, and if you do not find your answer, then pose your question in their forum and see what falls out.

Good luck with this and I apologize for not having a more direct answer on it. I look forward to hearing some results in your hunt.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The biggest avantage I can see about the SIGMA is that is has OS - "Optical Stabilization" for the Canon and Nikon mounts, which TAMRON has in it 18-270mm VC version. I'd save the money with the "vanilla"-version on the SONY DSLR.
    Good luck with this and I apologize for not having a more direct answer on it. I look forward to hearing some results in your hunt.
    Don, Very good reply and I thank you again. I only had one question, the above statement about the OS which Tamron has in its 18-270mm VC, Is this available for Sony Mount? and what did you mean about "save the money with the vanilla version"?
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Lightbulb Further explanation ...

Joe ...

What I meant by "Vanilla" is that the TAMRON 18-250 ANY-mount has no anti-shake in the lens. They are simply super-zoom lenses that have the most advanced design of their type in them, as compared to the 28-200, 28-300 and right before, the first APS-C 18-200.

NO, TAMRON does not make a SONY-mount 18-270 VC, so that is not even an option.

The SONY 18-250 is effectively identical to the TAMRON 18-250 (without a 6-year warranty) and also does NOT have anti-shake in it, either.

I am pretty sure the SIGMA 18-250 (SONY-mount) does not come with "OS", either, but then again ... I have not ordered it and stranger things have happened.

My money will continue to be on the TAMRON design ... I have tested it and find it performing just fine for its design.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-09-2010 at 12:56 PM.

flickr & Sdi