Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon 40D resolution settings

Greetings,

This is my first post and hope that someone will be able to help me regain my sanity. In the last 5 years I have had a number of injuries to my head. The first was a near fatal off road high speed multi flip and rollover. I spent 6 months in brain rehab after that. Since then I have had 3 cancer/tumors including 2 brain tumors. One was removed and the other was not able to be touched so I had 4 months of radiation and it appears to have killed it. Bottom line is that I have holes in my memory and can sometimes seem a little slow or dense.

I tell you that not for sympathy but to explain why I may need concise answers and a little understanding if I seem a little dense.

I have recently started taking a lot of pictures again. Before my wreck I never went anywhere without a camera and could not wait to get home to play with PhotoShop. One of the many issues that I am having is understanding the resolution settings of my pictures.

When you go to the menu on my Canon 40D I have quality set at the highest setting. It is the top one that is L and it says 3888X2592 [329]. So I take my pictures and when I transfer them to my computer and look at the details it says that the Horizontal and Vertical Resolution are both 72dpi.

If I want to print the picture I need more than 72 DPI so what do I do? Why is it only taking 72 DPI?

I am sure this is one of those "Hey Dummy" things. I have tried to look at all sots of tutorials and I just get lost and confused. Then I get frustrated and sad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

DPI has nothing to do with settings, it is only used for printing. Most printers automatically choose the correct DPI for the size you are printing I think, but you can manually adjust it somewhere I'm sure. But it's not a camera setting, it's something on the computer.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

I made a similar post a while ago:
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47647

From what I understand the image is at 72dpi and its dimensions are huge in size - 4770 x 3178 @72 ppi = 66" x 44"
    When you reduce for printing you keep the same amount of pixels but they are cramed into a smaller space and so the ppi goes up.
    Reducing the image to 10" x 6" you should get 432 ppi

This is done automaticaly by the printer if you just select to print the image or you can set it in your graphics program - I use GIMP and there is a "print resolution" setting.
    This actualy reduces the size of the image to get the resolution which confused me as I assumed it was making new pixels to fill up the spaces !