Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirtbikes and ATV's

In the spirit of the thread about this forum being slow, I figured I would throw up some photos I took a couple of weeks ago and ask for some C&C.

My buddy Joe races Motocross and there are quite a few chances I get out to go shoot when he races. This time it was just a wet field on a Sunday afternoon. I will explain what I was going for in each picture to give you guys an idea of exactly what I was hoping for.

PS- None of these photos have been post processed in any way what-so-ever. I don't have photoshop yet

This is my buddy doing a wheelie on his quad. My goal was to get him in sharp focus and get the background blurred. This shot is actually the middle one while using burst mode and panning along with him. I love that my buddy is in focus, but the front of the quad itself is OOF. Is there anything I can do about this, or is just something I will have to deal with?

For this picture, I wanted both of them to come through the corner and get them both leaning in. This photo would have been quite dangerous to get exactly the way I wanted it, but I decided it wasnt worth it and stepped off to the side. As well, it was difficult to get both of them closer together for the picture as they almost collided on one occasion. I don't like the darkness of the photo, but I couldn't figure out how to get it looking any better. Any other advice you have for this photo?

This last picture is my favorite. I noticed this big puddle and immediately had the idea to take a photo of him wheeling through it with the water splashing up the sides. The only problem is that I wanted to be a close crop, and I am only working with a 18-55 VR. I could not get any closer, as I even got sprayed hard core on this picture (I only JUST managed to spin around and shield the camera with my body). My only real complaint with this picture is the dullness. Granted the sky was complete overcast and the sun was almost down, but I think with more green and a brighter sky the picture would have looked fantastic! Is this something that would simply be accomplished in PP? If anyone is bored and wants to show me how the picture could look with some PP, I would be greatly appreciated.

Good action shots.
    Why don't you brighten up the images a tad if you don't like the darkness of them? If you shoot on RAW you can brighten up the dark parts without over exposing the brighter parts too much.
    18-55 is much too short for such shots. Should buy an inexpensive but excellent bang for buck 55-200 VR. Then you can stay out of the mud and let your friends dirty themselves.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

The first shot is ISO 400 1/80 sec @ f5.3.
    I guess you could have tried upping the iso to 800, keeping the shutter speed constant and opening the aperture to get a bit more depth of field. I like the photo as it is anyway.

For the second shot it's riders. Better riders would be closer together and then a longer lens would allow you to crop tighter. Be happy with what you have don't get your mates to try something they are not capable of doing just for a photo.

For the third one I have spent about 20 seconds in Lightroom adding some presets and cropping. Somebody who was good a pp could do much better I'm sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by K1W1; 06-07-2010 at 12:19 AM.

While I was at it I had a go at number two as well.

Hope you don't mind but I could resist having a play with the first shot as well.
    Basically once you take the photo there are plenty of ways to adjust things, you are entirely limited by your imagination even if it's a bit suss like mine.
    Last edited by K1W1; 06-07-2010 at 01:33 AM.

I like this muddy effect. For many cases the difference between a good shot and a spectacular one is the right touch up.
    Myboostedgst, there are many free photo touch up software if you haven't got anything else for whatever reason. I heard the Gimp is quite good and it's free. Also Nikon NX Viewer which you can use to view RAW files also has basic enhancing tools, and it's free too.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I know it's an overcast sky but for 2 was the sun behind you or the subject?

You could have set the white balance to cloudy, I'm just starting to learn to adjust that myself and it does give me much more accurate richer colours than auto WB.

I like introducing a vertical element sometimes, ie shooting from a step ladder may have kept less sky in the shot (which the cam is struggling to keep from blowing out) thus making the rest of the shot brighter. Alternatively hit it with some flash to lighten them relative to the background but that would be tough to get good.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.
    I don't think the front of the quad is out of focus in #1, but rather you're seeing the effects of bike movement up or down. Panning shots are really tough to do with quads and bikes, since they tend to be moving vertically as well as horizontally. At 1/80th, you're certainly seeing the nose of the quad move up or down.

Nice post work KIWI. Like the old film burn effect. What software has that preset?

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondSCattleCo View Post
    What software has that preset?
    A free program called Photoscape. It's actually not a bad little editor is somebody is looking for something between Elements and Photoshop. I just use it from time time for the effect filters when I want to have a bit of fun.

Thanks for all the ideas. I don't know when the next time I will be meeting up with them to shoot, but I hope soon as I have been doing nothing but working lately.

tim11 - Thanks for the compliment. I have thought about picking up the 55-200 recently. I was planning on picking up a 35mm f/1.8, but since I already have a lens with that focal range, I am starting to think that the extended range might be a more logical choice for me right now.

K1W1 - Thank you super much for the time spent PP the photos for me. I am a big fan of the second ATV crop you did and of course the mud frame on the ATV photo, as well as the photo with both riders. As well, thanks for the link to that free software. I think I will try it out with some other pictures I have taken and see what I can do. Oh, and don't worry about PP my photos, feel free to any time you want. I always appreciate learning from others.

Dread Pirate Roberts - I never think about the WB when shooting. I am trying to get everything else right and always forget a few things. Next time I will remember to try playing with the WB. As for the ladder, not in this situation. I had to jump out of the way a few times in fear of being ran over. lol But I will be trying that idea for some of my automotive pictures here soon.