Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which lens should I go with Tamron or Nikon?

Ok so I have two options for lenses and am curious which I should go with and also if you have used one the pros and cons of the lens as well as any pictures you are willing to share that you have taken with the lens. I have a Nikon D3000 camera and a Nikon 18-55 mm VR AF-S lens right now and am wondering should I go with the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with the built in motor for the Nikon cameras or should I get a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR ?

Thanks in advance looking to do a little bit of everything with the lens, sports, movement shots, wildlife, scenery and just all over shots.

Jana

Hi Jana and welcome to the forums!

I would go with the Nikon. It will hold a better resale value should you ever decide to sell it and also, in my opinion it has better image quality. One other option to look at is the Nikon 70-300 VR. That would be my top suggestion in your case, assuming you cant afford or dont want to spend for the 70-200 F2.8 VR.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Tamron has had a 70-300mm lens in the works for several months, with VR-like ability. Folks have been anticipating it for a while (one Japanese site is taking orders w/o any pricing, in fact). That may be a more affordable option if you can wait.

But I generally agree with the comments above about resale value and quality of Nikon lenses.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by umijin View Post
    Tamron has had a 70-300mm lens in the works for several months, with VR-like ability. Folks have been anticipating it for a while (one Japanese site is taking orders w/o any pricing, in fact). That may be a more affordable option if you can wait.

But I generally agree with the comments above about resale value and quality of Nikon lenses.
    I dont mind waiting that would definatly make it easier to decide on which one to get. I am looking at mainly doing some coast guard photos (helicopters, boats underway and stopped) and wildlife, and then some of my son on the beach and some macro close up shots of flowers and such. I wonder how much this lens would be as I only have about 200 or a little over to spend on one right now.

Jana

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Hi Jana and welcome to the forums!

I would go with the Nikon. It will hold a better resale value should you ever decide to sell it and also, in my opinion it has better image quality. One other option to look at is the Nikon 70-300 VR. That would be my top suggestion in your case, assuming you cant afford or dont want to spend for the 70-200 F2.8 VR.
    Yeah those are both on my wish list but are both way out of my price range I am looking at about $250 max right now. I like the photos I have seen with the Nikon but also like the photos I have seen with the tamron and they both where about equal. I saw some airshow pictures of the tamron that where amazing.

Jana

Tough to decide. The Tammy has extra reach while the Nikkor has VR which will be ideal for beach. As for difference in quality one will have to train to see the difference.

Yeah... my ideal lens would be the Nikkor 70 - 300 VR or 70 - 200 F/2.8 but I cannot justify getting either one yet, personally.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

All i will say is that I had the 55-200 VR for a few years and I was amazed at the quality of the pics that came out of it. Sharp and good contrast. highly recommend it.
    Unfortunately I have never used the Tamron.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    All i will say is that I had the 55-200 VR for a few years and I was amazed at the quality of the pics that came out of it. Sharp and good contrast. highly recommend it.
    Next to the 50mm f1.8 it's the second best bargain Nikon make.

I don't have personal experience with the 50-200VR, but experienced friends of mine are not terribly high on it. Perhaps there are build quality consistency problems.

If K1W1 likes it, though, it must be good. :-)
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Post Which Lens?

If budget is a concern, certainly the Tammy is a valid choice. While it doesn't have VR it does produce good images with the D3K. I have posted a number of shots taken with it in the Nikon DSLR Pic of the day and in the bird, insect and flower pages of the Gallery. Also you might check out my facebook page where I have posted a lot of stuff.
    Falconest174
    Seeing the picture starts the process
    D7100, Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300 Macro, Sigma 17-70 F2.8 Macro,
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/rmProvost