Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

debate between pentax k-x and nikon d5000

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. -- hopefully under $500, I plan to buy used or refurbished, i know that good dslr can be pricey though.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? -- smaller side, but not a primary concern

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? -- I'd like about 12

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) -- 9

Do you care for manual controls? -- yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? -- basically I'm a filmmaker and I feel like relearning still photography will help my camera work until i have a big enough budget to purchase something more for filmmaking... and i also plan on using it for behind the scenes stills.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? -- potentially

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? -- yes to both

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? -- occasionally, but not a lot

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? -- not really

Are there particular models you already have in mind? -- pentax k-x and the nikon d5000

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

i like the rotating LCD (although i know the pentax k-x does not have one) and image stabilization of both models i have in mind. i also prefer these two because they have HD video.

basically i'm just not sure which of the two will be the better bang for the buck

danni-

I own both DSLR cameras. I would tend to suggest the Nikon D-5000 for your purposes. The Nikon flash system is much better than Pentax. You might also consider the low cost Nikon 35mm F 1.8 lens as a great working lens for your low light shots.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by DanniG View Post
    i like the rotating LCD (although i know the pentax k-x does not have one) and image stabilization of both models i have in mind. i also prefer these two because they have HD video.
    Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    I own both DSLR cameras. I would tend to suggest the Nikon D-5000 for your purposes. The Nikon flash system is much better than Pentax. You might also consider the low cost Nikon 35mm F 1.8 lens as a great working lens for your low light shots.
    Keep in mind that you won't get image stabilization with that lens on a Nikon camera body, but that with Pentax you'll get stabilization with any lens. Pentax, very unfortunately, does not have a budget APS-C normal like the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, but they do have a number of medium-priced prime lenses of high optical quality (c.f. that "9" for image quality in your answers).

I agree that Nikon's flash system is superior overall, but you won't really feel that until you have a moderate investment in lighting -- Pentax's system works wonderfully with one wireless slave, and well enough with two. And with the Pentax K-x, you can use wireless P-TTL with the on-board flash as the controller, but the Nikon D5000 can't do that (Nikon only puts the feature on its models at the D90 level and up).
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

matt-

Let's be a bit more specific. I recommended a $200 lens. Tell me the comparable lens you had in mind to use on the Kx? ("they do have a number of medium-priced prime lenses of high optical quality") Are you thinking of the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens at $400+, perhaps.

Sarah Joyce

matt-

Let's be a bit more specific. I recommended a $200 lens. Tell me the comparable lens you had in mind to use on the Kx? ("they do have a number of medium-priced prime lenses of high optical quality") Are you thinking of the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens at $400+, perhaps.
    I'm not trying to pick a fight here. In the part of my message you didn't quote, I said that it's unfortunate that Pentax doesn't have a budget lens like that. The Sigma 30mm would certainly be an option, but I was thinking of the DA 40mm f/2.8 ($340) and kin.

All of the Limited lenses, with the exception of the FA 31mm and 77mm, are under $600, and those two are under $1000. That's not cheap, but it's not the Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G either. So, like I said, medium priced.

The DA Limited lenses are not particularly fast for primes, but unlike the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, they're excellent wide-open, so for practical use where you want to be stopped down a bit for depth of field anyway, that's not a huge drawback.
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

Have you considered the new mirrorless lens interchangeable models such as the Sony NEX, Panasonic GF1, Olympus EPL1 or Samsung NX10.

I own the NX10 + 30mm F2 pancake kit lens. I find this lens to be optically superb and great as a street camera. The GF1 also comes with a 20mm pancake that is very nice.
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD

mattdm-

Thanks for expanding the info on the Pentax lens choices. I apologize, no confrontation was intended at all. I was just interested to know what lens you had in mind as i am fairly new to Pentax and the Kx.

Any suggestions on a good flash for the Kx that is a bit lower in price that Pentax's own brand? Thanks again for the lens info. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

shahmatt -

I'm not very familiar with them, I've always used SLRs in the past so when I started my research this time around I have to admit I didn't give it much thought. what would the benefit be in comparison? (I'm now leaning strongly on the pentax k-x)

Thanks for expanding the info on the Pentax lens choices. I apologize, no confrontation was intended at all. I was just interested to know what lens you had in mind as i am fairly new to Pentax and the Kx.
    Sorry for being over-sensitive, then.

Honestly, I can't recommend the DA 40mm Limited enough. It's gorgeous, and together with the K-x (or K-7, for that matter), makes a very compact package. The focal length is a bit odd on APS-C, like a tightly-cropped normal. That's a bit strange but works well enough for most situations. Really, if you have a Pentax camera, the only reason I can think to not buy this lens is if you already have the DA 35mm or FA 43mm.

Any suggestions on a good flash for the Kx that is a bit lower in price that Pentax's own brand? Thanks again for the lens info. Have a great day.
    Sigma's EF 530DG flashes are a good value, although the cheaper model doesn't have any fancy features and the more expensive one has a terrible UI. In Europe/UK, Metz is an amazing deal... and still a pretty good in the US, but for some reason priced just as expensively as the Pentax equivalents. (Imported by Bogen; I guess they price them where they think they can sell 'em.) I have the Metz 48 AF-1 and am quite happy with it.

Pentax is missing something like the SB-R200, which I know they market for macro work but which I can think of a hundred other uses for.

Quote Originally Posted by DanniG View Post
    shahmatt -

I'm not very familiar with them, I've always used SLRs in the past so when I started my research this time around I have to admit I didn't give it much thought. what would the benefit be in comparison? (I'm now leaning strongly on the pentax k-x)
    These are a new type of camera that are lens interchangeable and have the same large sensor of a DSLR, and hence all the benefits thereof, but do not have the mirror (or prism) box that facilitates the optical viewfinder. The removal of the mirror box essentially makes the camera much smaller. Composition is instead done using the LCD screen or the electronic view finder.

Basically, you can get all the features of a SLR but in a smaller size. The cameras are a tad more expensive because I guess they are a premium product right now.

Olympus and Panasonic have several models in the market that use the micro 4/3rds sensor. Here is a review of the recently announced EPL-1 (which is the budget range option):http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e_pl1-review.

Samsung announced the NX10 last Jan. This uses a 14MP APS-C sensor which is the same size as most entry level SLRs. Sony announced the NEX series of cameras which also uses an APS-C sensor. The new cameras usually come with their own proprietary lens mounts, but adapters are also being made for compatibility with other lenses so you may gain compatibility for your existing lenses.

I bought the NX10 and I'm pretty happy with it. The 30mm/F2 kit lens is fast and optically very good and makes the walk around package extremely compact. For me, the smaller the camera the more likely I am to shoot with it and good news because so far I have been taking a lot of images. The dynamic range is a little superior to my eye compared with the micro 4/3rds models. The jpeg noise reduction algorithm is a little more aggressive than what I would like but I generally shoot in RAW mode and manually adjusting noise reduction makes a difference. Here is a sample image at ISO 800: http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1545/sam0540q.jpg. Here is an image at ISO 200: http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/904/sam0544.jpg. Here is another as ISO 200: http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3144/sam0469.jpg. All a little over saturated I know but I like vivid colors :-p.
    Last edited by shahmatt; 05-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD