Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Best P&S Camera for hi-def video and stills? CMOS vs CCD?

Hey All,

Somewhat of a newbie here to the forums, so be gentle : ) In a nutshell, I'm looking for a P&S camera with high quality video and stills. I'd like to stay under $400, and would like to have a camera that fits in my pocket, if possible, but not necessary. I also need the ability to zoom while recording video. I don't print any stills over 8x10, so I'm not really concerned with megapixels. I'd rather have quality over megapixels. I prefer AA lithium batteries vs a proprietary battery, but it's not a showstopper if it's not AA.

I purchased the Canon SX200 about two months ago, and was very disappointed. The video quality was decent, not great, but the still photos in Auto mode (my wife only knows to use Auto mode) were not up to par at all. Almost all shots were blurry, and indoor photos could be described as terrible. She knows to push halfway down to focus, then fully down to take the picture. And no, she wasn't holding the flash down during the indoor shots. I also played with the camera and had the same results. Needless to say, I returned the camera a week later.

So, I'm now on the hunt for a camera that has both high quality hi-def video, and quality stills to match. I've been reading good things about the Panasonic line, but am not sure about the AVCHD format. Seems that many reviewers have issues with their editing software and AVCHD. I've also looked at the newer Sony models, but it looks like they've also shifted to AVCHD with their newer models. Is AVCHD really all that hard to work with (I'm running Win7 64bit)? Sounds like many are converting the AVCHD to something more editor-friendly, but losing quality in the process. Kind of defeats the purpose if it's true.

Lastly, I see that the newer cameras are using a CMOS sensor versus a CCD sensor. Should I be looking at one over the other? What are the pros and cons of these sensor types? Sorry for the long thread, just looking to make an educated purchase. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Also looking for the best of both worlds

I'm also interested in the best camera for hi-def video and stills. I recently purchased a Sanyo Xacti VPC-SH1 due to it's full HD video and 10MP photo specs. I also like the feel of a video camera (being able to hold and shoot with one hand). However, I have been very disappointed in the still photo quality - pics appear grainy and often blurry because the image stabilizer doesn't work with the flash on. I returned the camera this week and am in search of something better. There has to be something that offers the best of both worlds.