Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down SONY's new REAR "lens cover" ... the NEX

Yeah, it out there. The $500 rear "lens cover" (<-click on this) ... adaptable to the A-mount glass.

Please, discuss, discuss.

Wake me when the real Alpha DSLR shows up.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So rather than come up with something real they make a toy

i think its the smartest thing sony have done since they got into dslr. its ugly as all hell but if it performs, its very appealing to me with that 16mm prime. right or wrong, this is the newest and fastest moving sector out there. sony made a solid move and they did it before canikon which is crucial imo.
    Last edited by Rooz; 05-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Unhappy No need adding even more "junk" to my already enormous bag of goodies

The last thing we need to do is add silly stuff to the end of the optical pipes. It is a waste of time, concentration and money.

The biggest cross that SONY needs to deal with is improving the sensor of the high-end DSLRs ... and make them work better. Anything else seem enormously counter-productive.

I mean, what is that silly "Bloggie" all about?

'Nuff said. When that superior work is done, they we can go out and play.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

This is where the money seems to be...

Don,
    I think Rooz is right, in the sense that this seems to be the area where the growth, and money, is. Most other photographic segments are flat or declining. So it is smart of them to go after that before Canon or Nikon. You do want them to make money, don't you?

In regards to the high-end sensors and cameras, I don't know what's going on. Rumor is that the A900 is being discontinued (at least in Hong Kong), but no replacement has been announced. (See http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/product/alpha/a900_e.jsp).

JR

Thumbs down SONY's investment

Okay ...

Looking back on the entire SONY charade, that has been going on since 2005, with the lame effort they put into the "original purchase" of the Minolta Camera Division, here is the way I see it.

Now, admittedly, I could be wrong about this, but then again ... indulge me, as it has taken few years to peel back the "veil of intrigue."

From what I have been told and understand through various sources:

Back in 2005, SONY only bought roughly 65% of the Minolta Camera Division, as Minolta corporate began selling off choice chunks of the operation to the highest bidder, until SONY finally stepped up and offered to "take the rest." In that little hesitation of transfer, SONY lost out on 80% of the replacement parts for existing lenses, flashes and cameras. The ring flashes disappeared. The warranty support for existing lenses evaporated. New Minolta 7Ds languished with product failure and no apparent service support.

What remained was the prototype designs for Minolta's 7D II and the 9D. This was the intellectual property that represented the wave of the future for Minolta's designs.

Unfortunately, SONY has exhausted those designs and is at the point where they ACTUALLY have to do some intellectual work to move forward. Unfortunately, they lost 90% of the intellectual TALENT from the original "Mind of Minolta." In all the futzing around, this talented pool of people migrated to other manufacturers and took their brilliance right along with them, leaving SONY looking pretty barren and unable to maintain the pace.

In other words, "the gas is out of the balloon" and the whole shebang is sinking to the mediocre nonsense represented by the NEX design (Attach this rear lens cover and make videos with your accumulation of A-mount lenses).

With this, now, rather obvious void of ideas represented by the delayed entry of a suitable α7xx ... and α9xx, SONY appears to be looking the other way and hemming and hawing their way through the various Photo Shows.

In a way, I feel like the little dog that pulled back the drape on the "Wizard of Oz", with SONY ignoring us or saying, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

We just have to MAKE dot BELIEVE it all never happened. Well, I am NOT buying in it. I am just too disgusted with the whole corporate boondoggle.

In a way, someone else needed to buy out Minolta, not the gimmicky, go-the-way-the-marketing-wind-blows company that grabbed it. We have a very similar problem with the Chicago Cubs. The owners were making money no matter what the Cubs team did. They made no investments that would successfully take the team to the World Series ... and we sit here, 100+ years later ... with nothing to show for all those tickets sold and fervent hopes dashed.

The question is and has always been: "Is SONY serious about this?"

In my estimation ... the answer is painfully obvious. The success of the current design was stalled, but eventually realized a few years later. They put the effort into bringing the original design to market, along with the 'then' current sensor designs.

Now, Gen II needs to be developed and put into place, advancing the science of photography. Problem is ... "Gen II" may not exist and therein lies the REAL problem: The Intellectual Vacuum.

Hey, it is just a snapshot of my take on it ... YMMV Feel free to offer your own evaluation of the current "Land of Nada"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2010 at 10:16 PM.

flickr & Sdi

they need to quit screwing around with a dif model every month and work on something good

This is the first Sony camera I would consider buying. I have been dis-satisfied with most of the point and shoot offerings out there since they overloaded those small sensors with pixels. Even at ISO 100 I can see noise with my G9.

I just purchased a Panasonic GF1, and then Sony announces this. This has the potential be even more camera than the GF1. So far the GF1 is just the right amount of sensor size and compactness for me. The noise is much much much less noticeable than the noise on my G9. The GF1 gives me a package with all of the features of a DSLR and nearly the size of a large compact. This new Sony looks like it takes that concept one step further.

The only thing about this announcement that disappoints me is that they are aiming this at people moving up from compacts rather than people looking for a second or third DSLR(read maybe dumbed down some).
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

quit your whining don. serious high end dslr shooters dont buy sony. end of strory. sony is a business and they have now made a very sound and appealing business decision which wont only make em a packet of money, its also a highly desriable camera.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    I just purchased a Panasonic GF1, and then Sony announces this.
    thats one hellofa badass little camera with that prime. i completely fell in love with it. what are your thoughts ? i've only used it a half dozen times. sony's 2.8 lens though is a bummer. especially given the pany is a 1.7.
    flickr