Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

First DSLR and dont know which lens to get, help please

So I'm finally going to hopefully (since it's not bought yet) get my first DSLR and I decided on the Sony a500 after reading many reviews and articles on it. I'm getting it in a bundle with the standard kit lens 18-55mm DT I also decided that the couple of hundred that I saved by not getting the a550 I'll use to include another lens into the bundle I'm already originally getting so my choices are either the Sony 75-300mm or the Sony 55-200mm my question is which one is better in your eyes and which one would you recommend. Or should I not get either one of them and just save up some more and get something better altogether?

Im a complete beginner in DSLR photography so this will be a learning journey for me lol Also I plan to take pictures of mostly wildlife , macro , landscapes , horses but also just anything that catches my eye Hope you can help

Sophie,
    In a straight fight between the two I'd say go for the more versatile 75-300mm rather then the 55-200mm.
    At 200mm the 75-300mm is sharper than the 55-200mm and, of course, continues on to 300mm.
    On the other hand, the 55-200mm is sharper in macro mode and is somewhat lighter.

Having said that and taking into account "wildlife and horses", neither lens holds a candle to the Sony 70-300 G SSM (except in terms of price) and I'd rather you set your sights on that. In your position and in the short term, I'd look for a secondhand Sony 75-300mm or Minolta 70-210 f4 Beercan which you could resell for minimal loss when you've saved enough for the "G".

So I think I'll settle for the Sony 55-200mm lens for now since I read better reviews on this kit lens then the Sony 75-300mm one and also macro at this time of season (flowers blooming) is very useful I think. I also compared pictures between the two and I like the 55-200mm ones better. I will definitely take your suggestion on the Sony 70-300 G SSM since I saw example photos and was blown away

Also I was wondering what kind of lens setup should a beginner start off with , so far besides the 70-300 G SSM lens (will add to birthday wish list) I have read that the Sony 16-105mm one is good too. The one thing I don't want to end up doing is ending up with 2 similar to each other lenses. Also what does a teleconverter lens do? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions but I want to learn as much as possible in DSLR photography

Lightbulb Did you happen to read ...

the first thread (<- click on this link) in the SONY DSLR Forum?

It is a review of a good, standard lens bag suggestions and the supporting manufacturer's or retailer's information for each lens. Click on the lens' image for the information.

Have a look-see, then ask for specifics, if necessary. It should make life a whole lot easier and faster for subsequent discussion. You have come to the right place for supported and informed suggestion.

To be honest, a teleconverter (T/C) is probably the best way to "screw up" the sharpness of your images. On a zoom lens, it is hard to justify its use, as any T/C simply darkens the aperture by at least ONE full f-stop. A 2x T/C takes it down by TWO full f/stops of light. Often, that is usually enough to disable your autofocus, especially on a 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens, which is ALREADY dark enough.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sophie,
    It's hard to advise a complete newcomer to the DSLR world on lens choice because no-one knows what you will photograph most often. As it is, you seem to be favouring the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses which give you pretty good coverage of focal lengths and, if you buy them as a kit with the A500, come at a pretty good price which means you can resell at minimal loss or even turn a small profit.

When you have become familiar with your new kit, you will also become aware of perceived weaknesses and be able to ask more specific questions of the Forum and likely get more helpful answers. Don't be afraid to post pictures and ask for constructive criticism, we've all been in your position so you are not alone. I wish forums had been available when I first picked up a camera.