Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Adobe CS5

Exclamation Adobe CS5

Last Thursday night, I attended the first of a series of monthly presentations through Adobe with participation from local professional photographers which was held at Pasadena City College where I've been taking photography classes. The first half of the presentation was on Lightroom. The second half covered improvements made in CS5.

I was extremely impressed with some of the things I saw with CS5. First, it appears Adobe has made significant strides in improving its HDR processing. Only time and usage will tell if it is as functional and user friendly as PhotoMatix. Second was some really great improvements in the healing brush tool. It was virtually seemless and did not have the funky image warping that you currently get when you drag the healing brush over tiny distances.

The most impressive demonstration was on a smart removal tool. The demonstration used a photo of a guy standing in front of a stone wall. The general area around the guy was selected. Within a matter of seconds, Adobe recognized the distinguishing feature of the area selected was the guy. It then removed him from the image and automatically re-created the stone wall from nearby elements to fill in the area vacated by the removal of the guy. The recreated wall appeared nearly seamless.

Now the best part of the night was the raffle off of two Adobe Lightroom programs. I won one.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Way to go, Darin!

Wow ... the rather perfect solution to over-population, without requiring a Constitutional Amendment! That really is the best way to go. We can empty the Halls of Congress without any consternation at all!

Go Adobe! It wasn't all that HDR ... sorry, hard, after all.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wink

The reaction of the audience was really quite funny. While the function itself was called something like the Smart Removal Tool, it was quickly dubed the "EX"[COLOR="Black"] Removal tool ... ex boyfriend, ex girlfriend, ex spouse ... or simply the EX.

It could be dubbed the communist regime tool or the victor tool with the catch line ... "where history is re-written."
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

These smart tools work at the demos but ....