Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

the new zeiss 12-1500mm 1:1.2

coming to you in 2035..
    place your orders now

Steve,

Did you realize the first element of that size f/1.2 lens would be a whopping 1250mm in diameter (that's ~4.1 feet!). You would practically need a wheel barrow to haul the lens around in. You want to talk about filter costs ... whoa!

Just taking the filter on and off could be risking your life.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-17-2010 at 12:00 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yea but by 2035 they will figure it out so it fits in your pocket

I just have his feeling ... natural light will not be so cooperative, but you may have a point ... if we all live so long.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I'd be happy if they can make my ideal range of 15-135mm f/1.4-2.8
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Red face Weighing in on this ...

Still, even at that focal length, the first-element would be a real drag to carry around, at nearly 100mm, weighing nearly 2-3 lbs, all by itself.

An uncomfortable compromise would be the TAMRON SP AF 28-105mm f/2.8 LD (Model AF76M-700) ... weighing nearly 33 oz. I figure you would be halfway there, with that lens. They are still out there.

A little history on this:

I had this particular lens when I owned my Canon EOS 20D, back in 2006, before SONY introduced their DSLR. As soon as I got the lens, I had issues with the autofocus not working correctly, because of it not having the updated digital circuitry in it. Under TAMRON's great 6-year warranty, I was able to have it corrected and the lens worked fine afterwards. While it was away, though, I had purchased the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO to takes it place. The 28-75 only weighs a mere 18 ounces and is a joy to use, in comparison. Sure, you do not have the longer focal length, but you also do not have the 7/24 millstone around your neck, either. To compensate for the missing range ... I really loaded up and purchased the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM, figuring if I need length and aperture ... and stability at longer focal lengths, I might as well get it all in the one lens. Why stop at 105?

While the 28-75 and on the APS-C sensor, the 17-50 solved most of my indoor issues, outdoors, it was clearly the 70-200mm range that was of real value.

Again, my dissatisfaction not having image stability indoors without having to resort to $1000 IS-equipped lenses turned my head to SONY.

The bag load:
    • 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
    • 11-18 f/4.5-5.6
    • 17-50 f/2.8
    • 28-75 f.2,8
    • 28-105f/2.8
    • 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    • 200-500mm f/5-6.3
    • 35mm f/2
    • 50 f/1.8
    • 85mm f/1.8
    • 70-300 f/4-5.6
    • 1.4x & 2x T/Cs
    • 12mm & 25mm extension rings and
    • hot shoe and shutter release cables

of Canon gear was all sold off. That was 2006-2007. Anyway ... just reflecting on my experiences.

While I have toted a good share of heavy glass (barring the serious snorkels - 500mm f/4 and 800mm f/5.6), the idea of porting around a 100mm in diameter lens, routinely mounted on the front of my camera just causes me to "shutter" ... pun intended. The neck pain alone would just be crippling and you would probably wind up giving yourself a stroke. Intense pressure and stress on the neck causes brain damage.

YMMV. It may already be too late for some.

My advice ... give the old noodle a break ... and avoid wearing heavy glass whenever possible.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-17-2010 at 11:31 AM.

flickr & Sdi