Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If CLS is not an issue the LumoPro LP120 Manual Flash $129 is worth a look at, it was put together with strobists.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Yes, I noted the LumoPro on Strobist and $129 is a great price. Would edge out the used SB28's seeing at B&H and others I would trust asking $110-120. Don't trust evilbay, but did see a SB28 "Buy it Now" 6 days out, lightly used/tested by photo book author including original box - blinked and didn't last.

It is really coming down to a couple flashes. It really comes down to manual only (LumoPro and SB28 or SB26) or CLS - even if only backup for a radio system the manual units would require. If the price premium isn't too great, may lean towards the CLS "slave only" capable for flexable backup. That way, if batteries die or other problems in a radio system, Ihave the option to switch over.

I have ruled out the following...
    - All those with "master" capability - SB900, Metz 58, Nissin 866, Sigma 530 Super. Plus, probably don't need the extra power.
    - The Sigma 530 ST is an oddity, while aggressively priced at $149, as powerful as those above, TTL capability on camera, but no off-camera CLS
    - Another SB600 due to cost premium at $225, and the Metz 54 directly competes with the SB600, features, power, and same price - get the SB600.
    - Cheap Vivitar, Sunpak and others - while may offer on camera TTL, in manual mode don't appear to have power level adjustments like the LumoPro does.

That leaves:
    - LumoPro $129 (or used Nikons) manual only. While LumoPro web site is of little use (no manuals to download and FAQ "Coming Soon") I copied their back panel photo to Paint Shop Pro and zoomed where could read. Compared that table to the table in the SB600 manual and appear to be about the same power.
    vs.
    - Nissin Di622 $169. This appears to be a SB600 clone with good user reviews. CLS slave capable, similar power, manual capable with 6 different power levels, but their two page "manual" only gave a guide number chart and not the manual grid chart.

Radio wireless. Looking at transmitter + 3 receivers (one used with an old Vivitar for background or hair light)

One that has really caught my eye is the Cactus V4 (not the trouble prone V2) which seems to be getting good user reviews. At $85 for the full package, it is almost a throwaway when later expanding to something with on camera adjustment, non-ttl, capability. Reliability is the issue and why CLS backup, with it's sight/range limitations, becomes important.

Between Cybercyncs and Radiopoppers would tend to lean towards the Cybersyncs due to the batteries (AA/AAA vs CR123). Just memories of my Canon AE-1 using the CR123, besides being an expensive battery, running around looking for them to replace the one that was dead. The Cactus equivalent adjust at flash vesrions of Cybercync and Radiopopper would total arounf $275 for the full set and the versions allowing on-camera setting of flash controls would total around $350
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

I guess I ought to mention primary uses.
    1) I am a Realtor and at the urging of my officemates am looking at expanding into real estate photography as a second business. Obviously, I will have to step it up with multi off camera flash. Radio wireless has the advantage where flash can be hidden behind furniture, as appropriate, WITHIN the photo while all CLS "line of sight" would have to be outside the photo.

2) Portable portrait business. Would be great for networking, finding real estate clients and visa versa. Here, either radio or infared wireless would work equally.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.