Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

First Engagement Shoot (Pics)

So this is my first engagement shoot, I was pretty nervous and at the start the couple was kind of uptight. Upon our arrival it was pouring, so we decided to all grab lunch and have a few beers. With that being said, lunch had definitely helped them open up to me and what they wanted. [Could've been the beer ]

Anyways here's a few I have from the series.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    More to be seen on my flickr or my new photoblog with 2 other photographers.

www.the3amlife.com
    call me dylan.

nikon d40
    nikon 18-55mm
    nikon 35mm f1.8
    nikon 50mm f1.8d
    sigma 17-35 f2.8-4
    nikon sb600
    sto-fen omnibounce
    promaster ttl cable

flickr

For your first time they are alright. the first few shots are exposed wrong. I also don't get the warm feeling that you would usually want for an engagement session.

Number one would have been better served exposing for the sky and using a flash to fill the couple. Same for number three.

If I had to pick one, it would be the 2nd because that's the one that most resembles an engagement type photo. Although they seem to be lost in the colors. Maybe a mono or B&W would help?

Number 5, it doesn't do much for me... if both ring fingers and rings were visible, it would have turned out much, much better!

The last one could've been better if you brought the couple closer to you, the way it looks now they aren't the main subject, the enormous skyline/buildings are.

It was your first time, take it in stride and learn from it. My first engagement wasn't perfect either. There isn't much in way of settings to suggest, the main way to learn is trial and error.

I hope this doesn’t come across as being too harsh or anything, to me the best way to learn is honest criticism and I hope you take it as that!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Helpfull and open critique Jason
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I think that the shots are very much your style. If the couple picked you because they like your photos then I suspect that they will be happy with them. They certainly aren't the soft focus shots often associated with this type of thing but the world is a very different place since the standard engagement shot started appearing.

Thanks DPR. I hope Dylan agrees!

K1W1, there is nothing wrong with having your own style but I dont think blown out highlights and over exposure can be called a style. Ex.. number two, the females face is blown out, and the guys blue shirt is completely white.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I agree with K1W1. They obviously knew what they would be getting through Dylan's shooting style.

I do think that's a style also.

I must admit I like the shots myself.
    Not a fan of number 6 as its not very "weddingy" and Jcon has a point with them not really being the subject. Maybe if the background was a bit blurred and they were closer, it would work better?

Like the different take on number 4 and actually really like number 1,2 and 3.

Agree with Jcon on number 5 too. Possibly a vignette blur with the ring in the middle might work? Weddings definitely NOT my strong point though....
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

i think #1 and #3 are superb personally. these 2 show a young, vibrant, fun loving couple. #3 could have been maybe a stop or 2 darker as jason suggested and in #1 i'd clone out the rest of the background to make it stark white...maybe even a mono conversion ? trust yourself and your gut mate. imo these 2 just scream "dylan".

NB: can you leave a gap between the shots next time, they all blur together a bit.
    Last edited by Rooz; 04-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

#1 is nice. The blown out background is what makes it unique!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Jason,

Thanks for the feedback I really do appreciate it. I may have killed the highlights little too much there but it ISA little bit of my taste and the couples as well.

Thank you to everyone else as well. I am showing the couple all of the final producta today, so I shall give a more detailed reply after I get their feedback.

call me dylan.

nikon d40
    nikon 18-55mm
    nikon 35mm f1.8
    nikon 50mm f1.8d
    sigma 17-35 f2.8-4
    nikon sb600
    sto-fen omnibounce
    promaster ttl cable

flickr

Well I like them to, blown, ah, it's a style I like. Some would just say high key.

I think you did very well, they've seen your work before hand, liked it so choose you for your style. If they wanted flowery boring predictable they would have gone with someone that shoots like that.
    Stephen: Another kiwi bumming around Aussie welding shit up missing home....

Bloggy thing