Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb So ... backups of your work taking up a lot of space?

It is easily to blow by the capacity of most conventional DVDs with the size of these Full Frame RAW files (22MB) and subsequent Photoshop pieces (1GB each?). And, eventually your 1 or 2 TB backup is going to become ... FULL (Burp!). You need to off load some stuff ... and there's a crap load of it. What to do?

Also, if you need to "fireproof" your work ... in case of disaster (you really do not want to lose every thing you ever shoot, do you, just because the dog's tail knocked over a stupid candle?). Place the back-up disk set you make in a bank vault and forget about it.

Personally, I have my eye set on the Buffalo Blu-ray Disk Writer, giving you a convenient 25/50GB copy for just about $5 each.

Name:  blu-ray writer.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  109.1 KB

This device works conveniently on your USB 2.0 port, but if you really want to give it some kick-butt transfer, get an e-SATA port card ... pop it in the PC ... and see effectively blinding recording speeds.

Again ... if you are tired of having to produce a half-dozen standard DVD disks for each backup cycle, this may be the "better" way to go.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-11-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

As we learned with CDs and DVDs, Blu-Ray Disks may not last that long.
    Factoring in the cost of the Blu-Ray drives, the disks themselves, plus the risk of them turning non-readable, it may be more cost-effective and safer to use external hard drives. Plus, they're a LOT faster backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    And, eventually your 1 or 2 TB backup is going to become ... FULL (Burp!). You need to off load some stuff ... and there's a crap load of it. What to do?
    Buy another 1 or 2 TB drive...use an online backup solution such as carbonite, or mozy as a fireproof and off site back up. I still don't have 100% faith in DVDs of any sort as a complete back up solution.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Red face

One of the aspects I personally do not like about "online" back-up is that they has complete access to your PC and privacy (government, too). I know that may sound convenient, but having some nefarious hacking thirteen year kid or whatever, poking around and invading my privacy is not that secure, to me.

The problem with transporting these new HD devices, as a few students at my current school have woefully found out, is that if they are dropped ... they are DEAD! Like any other "moving" device of this nature ... they are poorly suited to violent collisions with gravity-drawn movement. DVDs, CDs and Blu-Ray disks are a lot more durable in this kind situation and can be conveniently packed, protected and stored.

The current cost of a Blu-Ray writer is around $300 and the disks, as I pointed out earlier, are around $5/ea.

Each 320GB Mini-HD costs around $60 ... doing the math:

300GB / 6 = 50GB or one double sided Blu-Ray disk (2 single sided Blu-Ray.)

Anyway, once you have the drive (which is compatible with nearly all forms of previosuly design CD/DVD media) Blu-Ray is about the same cost or half, depending on how you record.

As far as how long any media lasts seems just a matter time and technology. But for the time being, this is it.

If you are replacing a DVD drive, this might be the logical choice.

I also like the alternatives ... having everything on a couple of 1 or 2 TB drives seems ... brutally chancy.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-11-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, archival quality blu-ray media is close to $25 apiece, not the $5 you claim.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Question How long do you need it to last?

I am not betting on needing archival level storage. That strikes of over indulgence to a particular media. I suppose others may subscribe to it and that's fine. There are also people purchasing gold as a stable mode of investment. Choices upon choices on how you want to do things.

Thank you for your contribution.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-11-2010 at 05:50 PM.

flickr & Sdi

1. "Putting all my files on a 1TB drive is brutally chancy"
    2. "I'm betting on not needing archival level storage"

Don, that's called rationalization.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    1. "Putting all my files on a 1TB drive is brutally chancy"
    2. "I'm betting on not needing archival level storage"

Don, that's called rationalization.
    +1

Don't you know that rationalization is a way of life with Don. If he can find a way to spin the truth to fit his version of reality he'll most certainly do it. There is no such thing as comparing apples to apples.

Who ever said anything about portable drives. This is what I use right now: Newer Technology Guardian Maximus. It's a 1+1TB raid array. It simply mirrors two drives so I have two copies of everything, if one drive fails replace it and the other drive will mirror onto the new drive. It cost me $300.

I don't feel I have anything right now that I care if I lose, so I haven't done the online storage solution yet. But that is the next step if I ever start making money from this. I don't fully trust these sites either, but it's no great disaster if someone steals my work, or anyone's work for that matter. I don't plan on putting any personal information up there in the cloud.

So Blu Ray writer $300 plus 20 disks to cover 1TB, or about $100 is $400. My magnetic storage is actually cheaper. I can move what I want to via memory stick or conventional dvd.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Cool Money will not be all that important when the data is gone.

As I have said in the past, regardless of the solution, you adopt what you will tolerate.

I sport a 2 TB e-SATA mirrored backup, 2 SATA 500GB Mirrored working drives and FireWire 750GB Sync backup ... but, it only takes one darn good fire and I am going to have issues.

The SONY Blu-Ray disk is a seriously solid alternative method. Multiple disks with capacities to drive you blind.

If you do not want to adopt the method, you will not be the first. Personally, I do not care what you do to protect your data. Like the camera systems, everything comes in an assortment of solutions. This particular solution is the one I feel the most comfortable with, to preclude any significant data loss, as I have found FF and their associated Photoshop files to be enormous capacity hogs. Standard DVDs disappear quickly ... and stack up just as fast. One Blu-Ray disc is worth 10 standard DVDs. That is a trade off I can appreciate very quickly.

Good luck with your own adopted solution.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.

flickr & Sdi

screw that. since the price of HD's have come down so much i avoid disc backups like the plague. it takes longer, is more fiddley, regular cost of discs, compatability issues with other PC's etc. not a chance in hell.

i know its not as sexy as addign yet another gadget, but for me, i much prefer to just buy either another HD or seriously rationalise what you are storing.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr