Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Where has your Sony DSLR been in the last year; How many pictures did you take?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Within my home town/city.

2 25.00%
  • Within my home state/province.

2 25.00%
  • Within my home country (multiple states/provinces).

6 75.00%
  • International, baby.

4 50.00%
  • What are you kidding, I don't keep track.

0 0%
  • 1-500 -- I don't get out often enough or I just bought my Sony DSLR

0 0%
  • 500-5000 -- I don't get out that often, but when I do I make it count.

4 50.00%
  • 5000-10,000 -- I shoot alot and I'm working on burning out the mirror spring.

1 12.50%
  • 10,000+ -- I try to shoot daily and as much as I can.

3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Where has your Sony DSLR been in the last year

Where has your Sony DSLR been in the last year?

1) Just around my home town/city.

2) Within my home state/province.

3) Within my home country.

4) International, baby.

How many photos did you take with your Sony DSLR in the past year?

1) I have no idea, I don't count them.

2) 1-500 -- I don't get out that often to take pictures.

3) 500-5000 -- I take a moderate amount of pictures.

4) 5000-10,000 -- I'm working on burning out the mirror spring.

5) 10,000+ -- I shoot as much as whenever I can.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Where has your Sony DSLR been in the last year?

Tri State area (NY,NJ and PA) and Florida

How many photos did you take with your Sony DSLR in the past year?

10,000+ -- I shoot as much as whenever I can.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

My A900 has been to multiple states within the country in the first year I that I've owned it.

I had just under 11,000 photos for the year.

What can I say, I usually have my camera with me on a daily basis. I don't always use it each day, but if the opportunity presents itself, I am ready to go. Nothing quite as frustrating as seeing a great photographic opportunity only to realize, gee I don't have my camera.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Wink I like my architecture STILL standing, thank you

Well, since my stint in the NAVY and I had a chance to visit overseas, I did ... and now, I am no longer interested in visiting overseas. Having the building you are photographing suddenly blow up and reduced to rubble is not the kind of photography I am comfortable with. I seem to have lost that adventuresome spirit, mostly because I am just tired of:

1. obnoxious security procedures,
    2. being told I cannot use my camera wherever I darn well please
    3. the fact the costs are ... nearly astronomical.
    4. being redirected around some calamity, when the zealots get all hopped up,

I am sorry, but when I am on this expensive International tour, this not my idea of fun. If I want pictures of "POLICE-LINE ... DO NOT ENTER" tape, any city or town can offer me that.

Admittedly, even here in the states, New York took the brunt of that skyline reduction, in the past decade, so I find that my needs are more answered and safely insolated with the more Midwestern cities.

Come visit Chicago and see how nice buildings look like when they are not riddled and pock-marked with machine gun fire or dropped to nothing more than a 1-1/2 story piece of dirt.

Also, since everything is pretty available instantly on the Internet ... I can ask Peter to get me pictures of the Sovereign and the curiously aged stone of Stonehenge. Saves me the time and the gas, because I know this man takes great images. I mean, why network if it does not produce benefits? Add to that the fact that I do not have to take chances on the weather cooperating, either.

I know it probably sounds like a real downer ... but, whenever they want to change it back to the "good old days" ... when people kind of respected one another and did not blow each other to kingdom come ... then, ring my "blower" and I come visit. Until then, don't forget your "ballistic" photography vest and Kevlar helmet.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-05-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ah, the "good old days". Trouble is, no computer, no DSLR, no mobile phone (hurrah), no MP3 player, no HD, no cheap flights, no cheap fuel, yeh remember cheap fuel. Good and bad, I guess.

Anyway Don, thanks and here's the Sovereign you wanted.

[]

Well, in the last year my A700 has accompanied me into six countries with 3,000 clicks of the shutter.
    You probably think that's a pretty small count, but I have to confess that I am still rooted in the film era when there were 35 shots to a roll and processing costs were formidable. I still think hard before squeezing that button and often don't.

Tomorrow, it will be seven countries as we're off to Italy (Umbria and Tuscany) for 10 days so I hope you don't miss me too much.

Forgot the Sovereign...
    Name:  Sovereign.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  83.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Well, in the last year my A700 has accompanied me into six countries with 3,000 clicks of the shutter.
    You probably think that's a pretty small count, but I have to confess that I am still rooted in the film era when there were 35 shots to a roll and processing costs were formidable. I still think hard before squeezing that button and often don't.

Tomorrow, it will be seven countries as we're off to Italy (Umbria and Tuscany) for 10 days so I hope you don't miss me too much.
    Peter,

In the digital realm where the cost of processing pictures for viewing is zero, 3000 is probably low. But, there is the benefit of less images to store.

Since taking my film photography class and also shooting medium format film (at a cost of around $38/roll of 12 shots for film, processing, print and scan), I have become more critical in pressing the trigger, even with the digital camera. Side benefit is less images to scroll through and discard. And then there are those situations, like sporting events or young children, where letting the A900 scream at its 5fps is worthwhile.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

I've shot a lot around where I live, some landscape stuff and also where I work (Steel works) which is quite good fun

A lot in Florida around the usual touristy places, and then some pics of 'America' in a fun way

Some sports like tennis and had a go at motorsport but need more practice haha