Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Red face I tell ya ...

Every single time I report SONY's little devilish issues on Dyxum, it never fails someone complains about me complaining. These people need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize the the "corporate bunch" are not too interested in our opinions, anymore.

They were when they had to get the show on the road, back in 2006-2007, but that door slammed shut when they cut loose with the +30 series of ... ahem, P&S intro-DSLRs.

Ever since, it has been a slow, downhill race to downgrade every DSLR Minolta put on the block. Apparently, "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em."

No, I am not happy to see my camera manufacturer run the equipment into the dirt. It is infuriating to the "nth" degree. The facts are there ... and you do not have to be a rocket-scientist to know something has gone rotten in Japan.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr« & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Every single time I report SONY's little devilish issues on Dyxum, it never fails someone complains about me complaining.
    well thats cos most of what you post is either complaining or posting some poll about sony/ tamron gear. perhaps if you contibuted more photographically then people on photographic forums would be more inclined to take your other opinions more seriously.

just a suggestion...
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

sony is raking in the dough with movies and music...they have quietly sucked up studios..music/video rights..and more

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    yes all true, but the 5d was FF aswell so the photosite and pixel density is the same as the D3. and the 5DMkII is also a a FF camera with the same MP's as the a900 but it holds the image together much better when the iso goes up.

all i'm pointing out is that when the d3 was released, most people thought that 3200 was a stetch, even for a FF sensor. the d3 completely changed those expectations. the d3s has again, changed the expectations people have about what the current cmos sensors can do.

the a900 and the d3x were never meant to be great performers at hi iso, so this is not a criticism of those individual cameras, more abotu what is actually possible with todays technology.

The 5D is a bit of an oddity. Canon 5D 13MP FF 8Ám 1368

With large photosites you would expect a good high ISO performance but it is little better than the MkIV and it also has the worst dynamic range of them all. Maybe Canon did something weird with the filter array but it is, after all, the oldest camera of the bunch so shouldn't really figure in the comparison

The 5DMkII has 21MP so it's not the same as the A900.
    Sonyy A 900 24MP FF 5.9Ám 1431
    Canon5DMk2 21MP FF 6.4Ám 1815 .... and, not unexpectedly the sensor with the largest photosite wins the sensitivity stakes although with a reduced dynamic range.

Listing the four cameras in order of photosite size ...

Canon MK IV 15MP Cp 5.7Ám 1320 the only crop camera
    Sonyy A 900 24MP FF 5.9Ám 1431
    Canon5DMk2 21MP FF 6.4Ám 1815
    N i k o n D 3 12MP FF 8.4Ám 2290 .... it's quite clear that bigger photosites = higher sensitivity and you can see that Sony could have been up with the others had they focussed on High ISO rather than Megapixels.

Unfortunately for Sony they failed to recognise that the obsession with MP was going to switch to ISO and have lost out big-time in the press. As I said before, Sony were not behind in the technology stakes at the time of the A900, they just made different decisions. But you can't cater for all tastes in one camera, it seems that Studio and Landscape Photographers will prefer more MP's and low ISO whilst Sports and general Photogs will want a bit of both.

The big question is what do Sony do now? Do they they cut the A900 MPs to compete in the HighISO stakes and upset all their current Studio/L'cape users. Maybe they'll cover the bases and boost the MP's for the 9xx and cut them in the A8xx, I have no idea.

Some have suggested that the A7xx will be FF in order to go up against the Canikon competition but that would upset a lot of A700 users. It would be good for me and anyone else who only owns FF lenses but I can't see it happening unless they were to produce both varieties, crop and FF. Either way I can't wait to find out, well I can, really I'm just very happy that my old glass still has a mount to enter.

If I have a gripe about the camera it is in the area of AF (A700) which is sometimes clunky and where it clearly loses out to the competition. If Sony fixes this in the A7xx, I will be happier still.

Downhill??

Don, your problem here is that you're flogging a dead horse but the horse didn't die in the first place.

You're not meant to like the entry level cameras, they're aimed at a different class of user altogether, yes P&S intro-DSLRs. You may not approve of the strategy but it's working, at least it is in Europe.

There's nothing "downhill" about the A450/5xx either, all capable cameras and a good step forward in terms of useability, AF and ISO.

The A7xx and EVIL cameras are being released soon. Then will be the time to decide which way Sony is heading.

i'm waiting for the a666

Wicked!
    ______

Red face Toys upon toys

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    i'm waiting for the a666
    Is that the camera from Hell?

Look, I realize this sleigh is NOT going in the direction I and others of my kind would have hoped. I can only shake my head in utter futility as the entire matter is dealt with ... far, far away ... and my unamused frustration yet continues.

On the other hand, I have made my points of contention abundantly clear. It is not like there is ANY confusion about where we are, today ... and where we need to be, in the very near future.

I sense, for SONY, it is like running in front of a heard of turtles, loping along and trying to figure out what they will buy.

I watch in amazement as Apple is raking in the "loose cash" (easy credit) on the iPad. Idiots that can ill-afford spending $500 on anything, as their families are suffering, out there, standing in long lines, buying a new, pretty useless Internet toy to play with. Almost like a bunch of "junkies" running to get their "fix!"

Okay, then ... where's my new DSLR?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr« & Sdi

i think the ipad looks wicked.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i think the ipad looks wicked.
    Me too. I wouldn't and couldn't expect Sony to be serious about the DSLR world. They are the reliable middle of the road product that works, but doesn't do anything special or aspire to anything extraordinary. It's Sony's business model. They make good stuff, but nothing special.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.