Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Need help Canon Powershot S1 IS vs Fugi Finepix s5000

OK... I'm a newbie to photography and want a camera that I can learn with but that I can use as a point and shoot when I need too. I've narrowed down my search to these two cameras that are in my budget and that seem to meet my requirements. Could you give me some educated opinions on which camera is the better one all around. My big deciding factors are based on Zoom, action shots (horses jumping), and photo quality and lower light performance is a bonus too. I have read many reviews on both cameras and I'm really torn between the two. Any advice??

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayfarm
    OK... I'm a newbie to photography and want a camera that I can learn with but that I can use as a point and shoot when I need too. I've narrowed down my search to these two cameras that are in my budget and that seem to meet my requirements. Could you give me some educated opinions on which camera is the better one all around. My big deciding factors are based on Zoom, action shots (horses jumping), and photo quality and lower light performance is a bonus too. I have read many reviews on both cameras and I'm really torn between the two. Any advice??
    The one problem with long zooms is atmospheric haze. Check the haze on this picture:
    Haze photo . I don't think you'll get better than that over a long distance. The zoom was at full stretch (10x).

I've taken some nice night photos with the S1 and some nice evening photos. The S1 has the advantage of manual control over focus - if that's any help? Really, you just have to try them. Watch out for purple fringing and look for image stabilisation. i leave the image stabiliser on constantly on my S1.

Smile Canon S-1 versus the Fuji S-5000

Well I just happen to own both digital cameras, so perhaps, with you permission, I can give you very direct comparisons.

The main debasing issue with the Fuji S-5000 is its over compression of the images taken with the Fuji S-5000 digiital camera. The over compression destroys detail in some digital photos and affects the quality of the color in other digital photos.

In contrast, the Canon S-1 has less and certainly more controlable compression. Its digital photo output is clearly better than the Fuji S-5000, and it is a better all around digital camera, just check the reviews, particularly at www.megapixel.net.

They choice is of course yours, I am just attempting to share my experience with you.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    Well I just happen to own both digital cameras, so perhaps, with you permission, I can give you very direct comparisons.

The main debasing issue with the Fuji S-5000 is its over compression of the images taken with the Fuji S-5000 digiital camera. The over compression destroys detail in some digital photos and affects the quality of the color in other digital photos.

In contrast, the Canon S-1 has less and certainly more controlable compression. Its digital photo output is clearly better than the Fuji S-5000, and it is a better all around digital camera, just check the reviews, particularly at www.megapixel.net.

They choice is of course yours, I am just attempting to share my experience with you.

Sarah Joyce
    Excellent call.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly

Sarah Joyce

Thank you this is EXACTLY the kind of advice I'm looking for. I am really excited about learning photopraphy and want a camera that I can sort of grow with. If I could afford it, I'd go for the Digital Rebel, but it's not in the cards for me at the moment and I also love the idea of the advanced movie mode in the S1 IS.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayfarm
    Thank you this is EXACTLY the kind of advice I'm looking for. I am really excited about learning photopraphy and want a camera that I can sort of grow with. If I could afford it, I'd go for the Digital Rebel, but it's not in the cards for me at the moment and I also love the idea of the advanced movie mode in the S1 IS.
    The VGA movie mode is excellent BUT 2 1/2 minutes of VGA video with sound takes up 256MB. I know Compact Flash is cheap but that's a lot of storage, even so and you have a maximum of 8 minutes or so worth before you have to save to the card.

I'm still exploring the capabilities of mine but can without a doubt tell you that the macro capability is poor. If you want macro, get a Nikon 5700.

The real problem with the Fuji is that it takes Xtreme Digital cards instead of the industry standard Secure Digital. With Fuji's reputation for changing cards, it could be that in a year or two they abandon XD in favour of something else.

Aside from that, it looks pretty decent. I have the Canon S1 which I believe is smaller.

I did it... bought the S1 IS!

Now if I can only figure all this out I'll be all set!

What about redeye....does either one of these cameras perform better?

What about Fuji 5100?

As far as I know, a new model from Fuji should be on the market soon. I would not compare IS 1S and S5000... IS 1S should really be better, but without AF iluminator...