Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Flash unit life expectancy

I have an old Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S650. I plan to take a large number (200 - 300) of images of printed text. I can either use artificial light or use the flash. Flash would be much easier (using rechargeable batteries, of course) , but I wonder whether this sort of heavy use will burn out the flash unit. As far as I can tell, replacement flash units are not sold. Is the flash expected to last forever?

Bill

Wouldn't flash washed out most of the text? However, if you find that good enough for you I don't think you should worry about the flash life.
    Like all electronic gadgets any part can eventually give up the ghost first. For the case of the camera that can be the sensor, the shutter, battery or the flash that will die first. I don't think any camera will die because you take 200-300 images in one day. If you are worry you can always give it a break in between when it gets very hot.
    The in-built flash is designed to last the lifetime of the camera.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Depends how quickly you take the photos. Using a powerful flash a lot in quick succession can cause heat to build up within the unit, which could possibly damage some components. But for a low powered flash (Such as a built in one) it's very unlikely there would be a problem, so snap away.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

The only issue with the flash would be if you take photos in quick succession and get it too hot. By quick succession I mean several a second for a few seconds. That's unlikely to happen with what you are proposing to do.
    Whether what you want to do is the best option is another subject. I'd just use a scanner for that type of work if I could but I guess maybe that's not an option for you. External (from the camera) is another probably better lighting option than the in built flash.

If you are taking pictures of printed text, it might be better to place the book on some sort of a stand, and use your camera on a tripod
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

I just got my first DSLR. For me, I spent quite a bit on extras except my budget could not take a flash. I need to get one eventally

As a point and shooter moving up, should I use the Olympus FL-36R Flash @ $199 from Amazon or wait a long time and save for FL-50R Flash
    FL-50R Flash @ $500?

I have Champagne taste most of the time but me beer money budget rules

Thanks!

I think you will find the FL36R to be a good match for the camera. It is a full featured flash. I doubt you will need the FL50R for non-professional use. If you do you can always use both since they can be controlled wirelessly from the built in camera flash.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    I think you will find the FL36R to be a good match for the camera. It is a full featured flash. I doubt you will need the FL50R for non-professional use. If you do you can always use both since they can be controlled wirelessly from the built in camera flash.
    Thanks! I'll be saving up for that!

I've got the FL-36, works wonders.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery