Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cheap A100 (really, really cheap)

Te-he-he.

Lady posted an A100 on Craigslist for $75 because of dust in the viewfinder. I emailed right after it was posted and told her if it wasn't a scam and she wanted to sell for $75, I would do it, but told her she should probably re-post it at $300. Instead of doing that she sold it to me...

She said she had 14 emails for it in the day since she posted it, but she went with the first person that emailed. She said that a repair shop around here (the one I don't like so much) took out the viewfinder and got dust all over it, so she ended up switching to a Canon. I think they came close to giving her a new camera, and she felt like she already got her money's worth out of it.

So, yeah, the dust is about as bad as I have seen viewfinder dust, but I don't really notice it. It certainly doesn't bother me much. Also my wife's grandparents gave me their old 7000 a few months ago with a 35-70/4 and 100-200/4.5. I don't plan to sell any of that stuff, so it is nice to have a digital body to use with that glass.

I may end up selling it, or I may just use it as a backup. Nice camera, came with all the accessories, 3 batteries, the Magic Lantern DVD guide, and in perfect condition except the dust. And I dunno, it might be possible for me to even fix that.

So at least for the time being, I have a decent setup in 3 different mounts, plus the Mamiya. I think I have a problem...
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

How did dust get inside the VF?
    I bet someone used compressed air to clean the mirror and the sensor!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Wow, congrats on being the first emailer lol!

I wouldn't, you'll just dirty up the sensor. The VF can't be that bad can it? Oh well, practically free camera!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hmm, I just looked and it is obvious that the tech was a bit ham handed putting the vf back in. It was really easy to get out, so I pulled it out and it isn't dusty, it's scratched. I had a hell of a time getting it back in, at first I was putting the focusing screen and the AF point screen in the wrong order, so I found a service manual and figured it out. I was able to get it back in ok, with no extra dust or scratches, but apparently the tech who worked on it didn't. Also the service manual indicated that there were 3 shims between the two screens, but there was only one on this camera. So it might be back or front focusing a bit, I'll have to look a bit more.

The AF is noisy, and I think the 18-70 is pretty near busted. The lady said she never used it, but when you focus with it the image jumps around in the viewfinder... I think the front end wriggles around when focusing. Whatever, maybe I can find one of the 17-35 f/2.8-4 for cheap. If I keep it I'll probably mostly shoot M42 primes on it anyway, so I can share glass with the 5D.

But yeah, pretty much a free camera, and a nice one at that.

The two dial system is kinda nifty. Not great, but works better than a lot of stuff I have seen. I'm really spoiled by the very one-handed controls of the 40D and 5D.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr