Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Smile Just needed a point and shoot camera for family purposes

    Budget:
    Budget is not an issue.

    Size:
    Pocket size. Should be very portable. I dont require the sleekness like Sony kind and as long as it is truly 'portable'.

    Features:
    I believe the 12 MP are of rage. So anything above 11MP is fine.

    General Usage:
    Will use the camera for taking light pictures. No professional photography is being used. I wont be making big prints of photos. A few low light/ indoor and few sport/activities. A blend of all worlds.

    Miscellaneous:
    A point and shoot camera will suffice. I dont have anything against ANY brands. Special features if available are a boon - ive got none on my mind. A touchscreen with a comparable LCD screen is preferred.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,146
    You might want to take a look at the Panasonic ZS-3 which is at its lowest price level, around $(US)230.00. Another possibility would be the newly introduced Canon SX-210.

    Sarah Joyce

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    ok , previously i had taken a photo with my nikon camera , and i kept it at 7MP , if you see diz photo you will see some kind of color distortion. What is the reason for this ?





    Also , keeping ALL my preferences aside which are the top five COMPACT ,PORTABLE , digital camera ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek_turbo911 View Post
    ok , previously i had taken a photo with my nikon camera , and i kept it at 7MP , if you see diz photo you will see some kind of color distortion. What is the reason for this ?



    Also , keeping ALL my preferences aside which are the top five COMPACT ,PORTABLE , digital camera ?
    It's called digital noise - the ISO setting on your camera is much too high. Unfortunately, this problem gets WORSE as you go higher in megapixels, not better.

    As to your question... you need to give a budget. Unlimited is unreasonable, unless you plan on spending $10,000US on a Leica M9 and a lens.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    which should i reduce - the ISO or the MP to reduce the digital noise ? Which is most effective ?

    Budget - not anything above $700.
    Last edited by abhishek_turbo911; 02-28-2010 at 01:18 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek_turbo911 View Post
    which should i reduce - the ISO or the MP to reduce the digital noise ? Which is most effective ?
    Well, there's several parts to that question. First, reducing resolution reduces apparent noise by smoothing it out if you scale a picture down, print it smaller, or just look at it from farther away, noise will be less apparent. But also, cameras with high-megapixel count usually have sensors no bigger than those of their lower-count relatives. Putting more pixels in the same space makes it more difficult to capture the image without noise, so in general, cameras capable of more megapixels have more noise even when the image is scaled to the same size.

    (However, not all sensors are equal in size, and not all sensors of the same size are equal in capability. This is a topic that could fill several books.)

    That said, in general, lowering your ISO will reduce noise dramatically. The picture you posted was shot at ISO 1600 and at a shutter speed of 1/1600th of a second. There's no need to have that fast of a shutter speed unless you really need to freeze motion. Unless your subjects were really jittery, you could have gone with ISO 100 and 1/100th of a second and gotten the same exposure with far less noise.
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,173
    Don't bother reducing image size; it's not really effective in reducing noise in the final image. Learn to set the proper ISO for your shot. On most cameras anything above ISO 400 will show noise, so you're best off keeping it there or below.

    Your camera requirements aren't very restrictive. Except for a few odd models, there are no pocket sized cameras that cost anywhere near $700. If you want a 3" LCD with touchscreen there are a few good options out there. The Canon SD980 might be a good place to start. Does that look like it would meet your needs?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    I need the definititive , most advanced , best compact camera ! Which would you suggesst for the greedy one ?!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek_turbo911 View Post
    I need the definititive , most advanced , best compact camera ! Which would you suggesst for the greedy one ?!
    It turns out that there isn't a point-and-shoot camera that is the best in all categories

    One may perform better at high ISO (Fuji Finepix 200EXR)
    Some have a lens "zoom" range that is more particularly suited to one person, do you want wide-angle (Panasonic LX3) or are you more into telephoto (e.g. (Panasonic ZS7/ZS3 or Canon SX200)?
    Most are generally very good in daylight, but even here, some perform better than others

    And then there are the more general purpose Canon S90 or Canon G11

    What you need to do is do some work and research into your needs-and once you get your camera, do even more work and study to get the most out of your new camera
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

    Canon A610

    Flickr

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenclutter View Post
    It turns out that there isn't a point-and-shoot camera that is the best in all categories

    One may perform better at high ISO (Fuji Finepix 200EXR)
    Some have a lens "zoom" range that is more particularly suited to one person, do you want wide-angle (Panasonic LX3) or are you more into telephoto (e.g. (Panasonic ZS7/ZS3 or Canon SX200)?
    Most are generally very good in daylight, but even here, some perform better than others

    And then there are the more general purpose Canon S90 or Canon G11

    What you need to do is do some work and research into your needs-and once you get your camera, do even more work and study to get the most out of your new camera
    Really? I have a Fine Pix A400 and I hate it. All my other camera, trail cameras etc use SD cards but Fine Pix needs a different type of card. I don't believe the lens is that good, pictures are not that great. I can't kick too much, Dell gave it to me for 'free' for buying a PC from them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •