Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Sony Alpha a230

Hybrid View

Sony Alpha a230

Hello everybody,

First of all I should say that I am NOT a professional photographer and I want to use the camera for home use and travels.

I want to buy a SLR Digital camera.
    At the moment a Sony Alpha a230 is available in some shops in the Sweden for 3000 SEK (regular price is 4000 SEK).
    I had decided to buy a canon eos 1000d (4500 SEK).
    Now, because of this offer I want to know that how much is the difference between the quality of photos taken by canon eos 1000d and sony a230?
    Is the difference worth for 1500 SEK (about 100 Euro)?
    I have found some sample pictures in dome websites, but it seem, these photos taken by professional photographer and the quality in both case is good, but I want to know the opinion of some people about the difference.

Thank you for help

Hello there, and welcome to this Alpha forum.

The CCD Sensor of the A230 has better IQ (Image Quality) than the Canon; more colour depth and better dynamic range. The Canon performs a bit better in terms of noise at ISOs higher than about 600.

Having said that, any modern DSLR is capable of excellent results in prints up to A3 in size; what really counts is the vision of the person behind the camera and the skill of that person in getting the best out of the camera.

I'm guessing that this will be your first DSLR in which case you should be aware that, in terms of IQ, the lens you buy is as important as the camera.

Thanks for the reply,
    The camera is available with the kit lense. You can find the ads below:

http://www.elgiganten.se/product/fot...-55mm-objektiv

About IQ, you mean there is not a big difference between the quality of a230 and 1000d.

No, there is not a big difference in real terms but it is measureable.
    The CCD sensor is generally recognised as being superior to the CMOS sensor which is, I suppose, why it is the sensor of choice in MF cameras and digital backs.

Yes I was concerned that you might be getting the rather poor 18-70mm kit lens, however, that link indicates that the much better 18-55mm SAM lens is on offer. Naturally the kit lens is built down to a price and you will eventually find yourself wanting a better (and more expensive) lens.

So you mean the included lens in the link that I sent you is good enough?
    As the last question, I am curious to know about the live view. The lack of the live view is a big problem? I have no experiences about it.

The included lens is good value for money. You ask "good enough"? but good enough for what? I think it's good enough for a Kit lens.

You'll find some pictures taken with the 18-55mm posted here but none are taken with an A230.

If you go here you will see the improvement of the new 18-55mm over the old kit lens.

As for live view, someone else needs to tackle that question, I've never had LV, so I neither use it or miss it. But then, I'm regarded as a bit of a Dinosaur around here, apart from the A700 and one Sony lens, all my equipment is pretty old.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    but good enough for what?
    Good enough for home use and taking pictures in the travel, taking some portrait from my kids and so on.
    As I mentioned I am not a professional photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Great links Pete. I must have a good kit lens. My images don't look that bad. I do have a problem when I shoot at 18mm with buildings falling over.

Frank
    Frank, I'm tempted to say that you just have a problem with falling over, but I won't.
    Wide angles are always going to give you a problem with perspective, that's why Don got a Tilt'n shift.

Quote Originally Posted by ali780 View Post
    Good enough for home use and taking pictures in the travel, taking some portrait from my kids and so on.
    As I mentioned I am not a professional photographer.
    Certainly it'll be Ok. Frank gets good results with the older version of the kit lens. I was just really saying that I can't say what's good enough for you because I don't know what your values are. In any case, values change, what was good enough for me 20 years ago no longer gives me the same satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    The included lens is good value for money. You ask "good enough"? but good enough for what? I think it's good enough for a Kit lens.

You'll find some pictures taken with the 18-55mm posted here but none are taken with an A230.

If you go here you will see the improvement of the new 18-55mm over the old kit lens.

As for live view, someone else needs to tackle that question, I've never had LV, so I neither use it or miss it. But then, I'm regarded as a bit of a Dinosaur around here, apart from the A700 and one Sony lens, all my equipment is pretty old.
    I have seen these fotos before with other lenses so I dont know if I can trust those images and the shots I get with my "old" kit lens dont look that bad. Looks to me like a focus problem.

As for the live view, I never use it but it should come in handy if you want to take a "low shot" and dont want to get dirty getting down on your knees.

Great links Pete. I must have a good kit lens. My images don't look that bad. I do have a problem when I shoot at 18mm with buildings falling over.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter