Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i like my nikon lens
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    i like my nikon lens
    I cannot make out the focus ring. How close can you get with it?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool ... it looks a lot easier to rotate, if it does. Does it TILT & SHIFT? or just one or the other?

What I am planning on doing is taking the standard image, then correcting it with the lens. I may also take a shot @ 35mm with the Minolta AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 "D", to provide another baseline image to demonstrate a fair look at the variations between the lenses.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-24-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

shift only..i have no need for tilt really

Thumbs up Adjust your image - - - straight up

Today, I had a couple of minutes to throw up the tripod, mount the α850 and the ARAX MC 35mm f/2.8 T/S lens.

From a clear sky, the sun light was incredibly bright, so I put a Circular Polarizer filter on the lens, which unfortunately added a degree of vignette to the shifted image. I had the aperture full wide (f/2.8) to show the worst aperture condition, using the lens. I figured if I showed only the best aperture setting, what would be the point? For that I, uh ... aw, what the heck? Just love it. I just want to see what this beasty can deliver under its full range. Anyone can close down, it's not brain surgery ... and set the shutter speed to run longer. We all know "tighter" aperture provides sharper images, so that is not any kind of big test, in my estimation. I want to see the worst the lens can do ... and this is it. I like it.

Unfortunately, I was running tight on room, though. to even take the shot, because of the sheer expanse between the two buildings. I may try it again, tomorrow. I have to say, it is hard to see any kind of vignette light issues under such brilliant source illumination, even shaded inside the truck. It is only because of the extreme tilt of the lens that you actually see the upper corners of the filter. It is gone in the normal shot. I suspect if I had used a "low profile" version of 62mm CP-filter, instead of the standard sized one (only one I have in that diameter, actually), that would not have been at issue.

Anyway, whoever decided to place that stupid lamp post there ... "bonehead." (Wish I had a chain saw.) I know it can be cloned out, effectively, but for now ... this is only a quick demo.

These are the Zurich Towers in Schaumburg, IL, from the sidewalk across the street.

Zero (O) "SHIFT" (normal configuration of lens)

This was with the lens adjusted to the maximum "SHIFT" setting

EXIF: 35mm - f/2.8 - 1/250 - ISO-200 - MF - M Mode - Natural Lighting - CP Filter - Full "SHIFT" setting

Let's say it all together, folks ... "Mmmmm ... a natural correction ... no distortion ... or having to use 'EDIT>TRANSFORM>DISTORT' in P/S ... Yes, very nice."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-26-2010 at 08:37 PM.

flickr & Sdi

damn light poles

Talking Taking the shot

Yeah, you'd think ...

Anyway ... I was simply demonstrating the lens' ability to lift the lazy buildings from their darn slouching. Geez!

You can always photo/clone out the pole ... making P/S useful for something, right?

Tomorrow, I'm going to stand on the back of the Avalanche, with the tripod, and try and get a better SHIFTed shot. I'll close down aperture a bit (maybe do a series f/2.8 - f/22) and see if I can render something "salable." This is an insurance firm, btw. I am a poor, starving student ... struggling through school.

Also, my shot of the Gallagher Building, a year or so ago, got me contacted by the insurance firm's employee web page.

They wanted a "decent image" for their web page. I gave it to them, informing them it was not to be used for anything else, without contacting me.

I tell you, having the right equipment makes a whole heck of a lot of difference.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.

flickr & Sdi

To bad they don't make a tilt shift lens that tilts those damn light poles out of the way. I'm convinced every public works department requires that who ever is hired to decide where to place light posts must never have used a camera in their life.

But now, see what you've done now. I had pretty much made up my mind to put the tilt-shift lens on the back burner and get a 28-70 f/2.8 first. Now, I really got to think about it. Too bad CZ doesn't make its 28-70 f/2.8 in a tilt-shift version.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

what are you going to do with the tilt don?

take tilt pictures?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 04-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.