Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up T/S ... getting it straight

Well, I decided that waiting any longer just seems imprudent, so I made the move to acquire a 35mm f/2.8 T&S (<- Click on link) lens for my Full Frame camera.

Using this particular lens on an APS-C sensor is self-defeating, because of the cropping factor ... effectively multiplying the 35mm focal length by 1.5x and cropping it to 52mm. It screws up the overall performance of such a lens and the results are less than what is probably desired.

Having the α850 Full Frame eliminates this problem entirely, restoring the design back to what it would deliver on a film body, and is one of the less discussed aspects of going to the "big boy" DSLR for a wider range of imaging.

Anyway ... once it shows up, the fun begins anew. Cross another lens off the "wish-list."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-26-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I'll be interested to see how the lens performs.
    Have there been any independent reviews?

Don - there's an inordinate amount of Sony compatible lenses being sold out of Illinois on eBay... is that you by any chance??

Question Where did you get that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post
    Don - there's an inordinate amount of Sony compatible lenses being sold out of Illinois on eBay... is that you by any chance??

Nah ... I rarely sell anything. I have been known to loan from my inventory, but to sell it seems ... I am sorry, the words escape me. I have a decent enough gear balance going for my time at school, where almost ANY situation might crop up, so I am not going to screw around with it. Paring it down seems ... unwise.

The purchase of the T/S lens is just another aspect to my photography that could use some exploration and attention. I have not had the capability, before, except with using the distort capability in Photoshop. While that is easily a solution for many situations, having the real thing, on-site, offers a capability I do not enjoy with any other lens I have.

The migration to Canon and Nikon continues ... apparently seeking video, as SONY throws fits deciding when and where they are taking the initiative. PMA should have really been a place to have a releasable unit available ... and the Anaheim, CA stores should have, at the very least, had an initial build ready for sale (to wick the palate of current SONY users). The "marketing schedule" that SONY has been employing defies any real logic (as the interest has been there since last summer) and is probably costing many times what it should by avoiding the show's real impact and audience.

I can only shrug in disgust. Yes, it may come, in the Spring ... but, business-wise, there is a lot of time between now and then to lose more of the market to another manufacturer. SONY does need a wickedly good lens at a reduced price to draw some attention. The CZ 24mm f/2 T* could be just such an opportunity. Take the hit and draw the crowd.

I am not going to make any serious changes with my system ... because awaiting video is not my bag. Others say their ambitions are different and I have to MAKE.BELIEVE them. Maybe SONY should, too.

Anyway, Bob ... my boat is still afloat, loaded with SONY-capable goodies. It can be a Titanic struggle, some days.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-25-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Angry Finally arrived!

Unbelievably, it took two full months to get my 35mm f/2.8 T/S lens from ... Atlanta? I find this very disappointing, so keep your eyes on Rugift, when you order lenses. They seem exceptionally suspect. When I finally challenged them, the lens showed up, literally, overnight. I checked the shipping date on the postage label ... 4/22! Make what you will of it, I do not like it.

The lens is smooth, manual focus and does work as designed. The only problem with it mounted on DSLR is rotating the lens on its mount. It "whacks" the lens corners on the camera's pentaprism overhang (under SONY label), preventing full rotation. I need to find a compromise .. and it may require some serious trimming. God, I hate defacing my gear.

Name:  Lens-contact-problem.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  372.8 KB

Name:  a850-w-t-s-lens.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  196.1 KB

EDIT:
    After I worked it a little bit, I found with a little more physical persuasion the lens will turn through this area. I do not relish the idea of forcing equipment, but I also detest having to modify gear. It is eventually going to leave a mark in the body paint.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-24-2010 at 06:28 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Extension tube ........
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Pfft. A case of Budweiser, sandpaper and a chisel.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Extension tube ........
    That would defeat the optic. It works ... you just have to persuade it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-24-2010 at 06:12 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Can't you tape the part that hits so that it doesn't scratch the body?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

It would cut right through any tape ... it is that tight. Honestly, the small circular scar is tolerable.

BTW: the M.F.D. of this 35mm lens is 4 inches. That's pretty cool
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.

flickr & Sdi