Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Sony to upgrade to?

I have an a100 and am happy with it other than my frustration with closed or lazy eyes in photos. I've had a consistent problem with lots of different people in my photos. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to upgrade to get rid of this problem, but I don't need to go over the top with new added functions (but an LCD photo display would be nice). In other words, I want to upgrade to the lowest model to notice a change in how the flash fires. Just a good serious amateur model.

Thanks in advance!,
    Deserie

I don't think the closed eyes are the fault of the camera. It might just be a timing problem with you taking the picture. I have the A100 and get good pictures from it. I want to upgrade also but I am waiting for the A700 replacement. I would say you can get a A700 for a good price and it is a great camera. I am sure other people can give you better advice. Post some images for us to see and maybe we could help.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Maybe you should consider an external flash like the HVL-F42AM or HVL-F58AM?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

The a100 does have a higher shutter lag than the newer models. However it's still miles faster than any P&S.
    I agree that it is just a timing thing.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Deserie View Post
    I have an a100 and am happy with it other than my frustration with closed or lazy eyes in photos. I've had a consistent problem with lots of different people in my photos. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to upgrade to get rid of this problem, but I don't need to go over the top with new added functions (but an LCD photo display would be nice). In other words, I want to upgrade to the lowest model to notice a change in how the flash fires. Just a good serious amateur model.

Thanks in advance!,
    Deserie
    as mentioned in your other, (duplicate), thread. the problem you describe has nothing to do with your camera and upgrading, (if you use the same technique), will not change a thing.

if you want to keep your current camera, buy an external flash. if you want to upgrade, get a canon, olympus or pentax.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Unhappy Low-end & APS-C Shinanigans

I have to say, I've done about all the SONY support I could ... and I am not getting any support from SONY whatsoever. They abandoned the only APS-C higher-end camera w/o replacement. That was arguably very foolish.

Not that Nikon or Canon would give two craps about the same thing, either, but they did not have to -> they were established. Minolta skidded face-first into bankrupt behavior and SONY had some serious DSLR shortfalls getting started. I felt that "pitching in" might be worthwhile, to help them build the division. Today, they have no excuse for their vacuous behavior and if you want to go Canon, Nikon or anything else ... I say go and have at it. They made their biggest move to the benefit of all shooters by FORCING the other two major manufacturers to lower the cost of image stability in most of their newer lenses.

Maybe SONY will offer a worthwhile replacement to the α700 ... maybe not. Best guess says it is not worth the wait.

Going Full Frame, though ... pricewise, the SONY is still a serious challenger with an α850. You have a nice selection of high-end glass to choose from and stability with ANY lens you mount. With Nikon and Canon FF ... the lens better have it or you are SOL. Some things just do not change. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-24-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Deserie, welcome to this Alpha forum.

I hope the last two posts were tongue in cheek, but in any case feel free to ignore them.

Back to your question, the problem you are having with lazy eye syndrome is (probably) not due to your poor technique but rather it's about the pre-flash emitted by your camera to .....

1) assess exposure
    2) red eye reduction (?? on the A100)
    3) Autofocus assist illuminator

The latter two can be turned off in menu and if you choose ADI (rather than TTL) flash it will set the flash power from the focus distance (only with a D type lens) rather firing a pre-flash.

The pre-flash from the A100 is a bit strong and is improved on the A700, see this video.

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Deserie, welcome to this Alpha forum.

I hope the last two posts were tongue in cheek, but in any case feel free to ignore them.

Back to your question, the problem you are having with lazy eye syndrome is (probably) not due to your poor technique but rather it's about the pre-flash emitted by your camera to .....

1) assess exposure
    2) red eye reduction (?? on the A100)
    3) Autofocus assist illuminator

The latter two can be turned off in menu and if you choose ADI (rather than TTL) flash it will set the flash power from the focus distance (only with a D type lens) rather firing a pre-flash.

The pre-flash from the A100 is a bit strong and is improved on the A700, see this video.
    Well Hallalujah! You have no idea how much you've just made my day! It's been frustrating trying to find some info on the technical reason this could be happening. And, while I do appreciate hearing others' opinions on other brands, I have a few KM and Sony lenses and would prefer to just buy a body for now.

I think my situation is not common- my husband in particular has a bad problem blinking with most cameras, but with the a100 I almost just cannot get a pic with his eyes open. It's far worse than any camera I've had, and it's almost comical how we've tried "practicing"! So, hence, I've decided to see if there is indeed some difference technically. Even before your post I had decided that it must be the lag with the pre-flash/main flash or the strength, and now I'm trying to figure out if the a500 or a550 are also improved in that area. I have looked at the a700 and would benefit from the Live View if I could go to 500/550.

I did run to my camera to switch to ADI only to find that's what it's been on...hmm. I will have to experiment between ADI and TTL with my husband to see if there's a difference. If I do decide to upgrade, do you know about the 500/550 with regard to these issues? I can't seem to get any specifications as far as lag timing on the different models even from Sony?

I am SO thankful to find someone to discuss this problem with!

Just post some images in a new thread and we will try to help.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

I answered your question without personal experience with an A100, so my comments were in general terms as a long time Minolta user, my first and only DSLR being the A700. I also assumed that you were using the on-board flash and certainly with Minolta there was no pre-flash when using ADI. I don't know whether the same holds true for the A100 and it may use a combination of pre-flash and focus distance information in ADI mode.

As for the A500/550 I'd be really surprised if the pre-flash didn't behave in a similar way to the A700, however, the A550 also uses the flash for AF assist rather than a dedicated AF illuminator so that solution may still elicit a twitch.