Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Wide Thread

Wide Thread

The rain clouds parted this morning, so I went to Griffith Park Observatory to take some panorama shots. Here's the result. Not quite sure how well it will post other than very, very wide.
    Name:  LA-Panorama001.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.47 MB
    Series of 12 shots stitched together.

Problems I encountered:
    1) Could have really used a GND filter today.
    2) Large files from A900 FF shots with inadequate RAM on laptop , not a good combination.
    3) Some how missed just enough to connect downtown LA with the rest of the Panorama . But it wouldn't have mattered anyway ... See problem No. 2.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

i can see 4 of my old houses..lol

''Large files from A900 FF shots with inadequate RAM on laptop , not a good combination. ''

thats for sure..lol

Darin, invest in a desktop, it won't improve the Pano (BTW) but will do wonders for your stress levels.

Question End to end?

I know I am probably being a pain in the butt, but is this a 360-degree pano, Darin?

The buildings (or lack thereof) and horizon levels do not match up on either end. We need the "gap-filler" shot.

Still, major league shot. Thank you very much for the effort.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

That's about a 180 degree view taken from Griffith Park Observatory which overlooks from downtown LA all the way out to Westood (UCLA territory). Unlike Manhattan which is crowded with highrises or even Chicago which has a central core of highrises, LA is really comprised of a series of spread out groups of highrise buildings.

The left side of the shot starts from just outside downtown LA. Then you have Korea Town and the mid-Wilshire district. The next cluster closer to the camera is Hollywood (if you look closely you can see the round Capitol Records building with the needle on top ala vinyl records). After that the next big cluster of highrises is Century City (what used to be the back lot of 20th Century Fox studios). Then finally Westwood.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???