Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Recommended Memory Card for a Nikon D3000?

Hello,

I recently had a friend visit who had just bought a Nikon D3000. I've been looking into buying one myself, but have just been puting it off. Well, playing with her camera resparked my interest. But I'm wondering what brand/speed of memory card is recommended for this camera. I went to Best Buy and the guy that helped me didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I'm leaning toward the SanDisk Extreme III, but I don't know if that's overkill. I do plan on shooting moving objects in the burst mode. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is such a small difference in price between cheap and good memory cards that there is no real reason to buy the cheap ones. You won't go wrong with the San Disk card, apart from anything else they are one of the few card manufacturers with a decent warranty.
    IMO you are better off with two smaller cards than one big one. I'd be looking at a couple of 4GB cards for your camera.

I think buying Sandisk Extreme III for SD cards is kinda overkill. That kind of speed is only necessary for CF cards and if you're shooting RAWs. As long as you're getting a class 6 SDHC, it should be fine.

Btw, if Bestbuy doesn't have any on sale, I recommend buying from computer stores instead. They're generally cheaper there. I don't know where your location is, here's some general ones:

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6+sdhc&x=0&y=0
    - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...6+sdhc&x=0&y=0

Quote Originally Posted by teko View Post
    I think buying Sandisk Extreme III for SD cards is kinda overkill.
    False economy IMO.
    What happens when the OP wants to upgrade the camera or decides to use the card in a video camera or another piece of hardware?

I've tried an occasional "generic" card, and found the reliability less than reliable. I keep those as emergency spares.

My last few cards have been SanDisk Extreme III's used with a fairly new high-speed reader. (using a Nikon D40 for the pictures)

For the want of a buck or two, go with a solid brand name.

Just my .02.

/eddie
    Eddie
    Kodak Retina IIIc (retired), Canon S100 - the original Digital-Elph, Canon SD1000, Canon G6 (dead), Nikon L11 (for Mrs Eddie), Sony DCR130 HD vidcam, Flip Mino HD vidcam, GoPro HD vidcam, Nikon D40, Nikon D90 (luv)....Don't ask how many camera bags..but I like Think Tank & Crumpler.
    "Eddie's Flickr", "My Autocross shoots" and our "Massively in need of an update Family Page." Happy Mac user family since 1984.