Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Idiots should not be allowed to have cameras

THEY ARE TOO DAMN STUPID TO LISTEN TO YOU WHEN YOU EXPLAIN WHY THEIR PICTURES SUCK..

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO YOUR PICTURES WILL SUCK NO MATTER WHAT LENS YOU USE IF YOU CRANK UP THE ISO TO HIGH
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 02-02-2010 at 06:27 PM.

I have recently told a number of people to just get a bridge camera instead of a DSLR, because they just want to put it in AUTO and expect to get "better" pictures. Instead they buy DSLRs and ask me why either their pictures look pretty much the same (using on-board flash) or look really blurry.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

The Art of Composition

I couldn't agree more, in part. I'm constantly amazed at how many people I see with expensive DSLR set-ups shooting their cameras like a point and shoot. More important, they take the same type of shots all the time ... 5-6 feet from subject at eye level. About the only thing that they seem to change is zoom.

Now, I will be the first to admit that a number of my shots turn out to be drab, droll or just plain old crap. But, I'm constantly experimenting on composition -- low shots, high shots, different angles, differing DOF, pay attention to the background, lighting, etc. And as a result, there are times when I end up with 10-25% or more true keepers.

So, I say this, if you are using your DSLR no different than a point and shoot and don't bother to learn what your DSLR is capable of, then you are an IDIOT. If you don't learn what your DSLR is capable of because you are afraid of it or don't think you have the time, then break out of your ignorance and just take a minimum of 5-10 minutes per day learning and experimenting. I think you will be amazed after just a couple of weeks.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    THEY ARE TO DAMN STUPID TO LISTEN TO YOU WHEN YOU EXPLAIN WHY THEIR PICTURES SUCK..

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO YOUR PICTURES WILL SUCK NO MATTER WHAT LENS YOU USE IF YOU CRANK UP THE ISO TO HIGH
    Apparently some are too stupid to know how to spell the word too...

Nice rant with no explanation as to what instigated the rant. It takes a lot to learn everything that you need to know in any field. Intelligent mentoring and maybe a little tact can go a long way to help with understanding. Saying someone's photos suck will not gain you much trust or respect, I know I'd reject anything you had to say if you told me my photos suck.

Try not to hurt yourself when you fall off that high horse of yours. If someone wants to buy a DSLR and use it like a point and shoot, then so be it, more sales=better prices for me. I personally don't think that's the way to use one, and if someone asks me for help I try to provide it. But if they don't want to hear it, or if they continue to use their camera the way they have, no problem, I'll just explain that to get the most out of their new toy, they need to do a little research and accept some education.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Better for me if they suck. Then I look like good in comparison :-)
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I came across this guy while I was looking for some birds to shoot near the marshes. He had a tripod setup with an A300 (i think). So I stopped to talk I could clearly see he didn't know what he was doing and when he took out some of the prints of the shots he had even confirmed it. I started to try to give some advice but he was a know it all. I told him I had to go. I guess the moral to this is some people want to learn and some are just happy with there images. I am always looking to learn. I have a friend who takes great images and every time I see him I always have a ton of questions. I try not to be a pain in the ass but I have to pick his brain. I feel you bought the camera do as you wish with it.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Better for me if they suck. Then I look like good in comparison :-)
    I don't think you have to worry about looking bad.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Hi Sonynut,

I'm trying to learn how to use my camera and I was hoping you could help me out. Is the quality of the image based solely on the ISO used for the shot? Should I never shoot above my camera's base ISO because my photos will suck?

I just want to make sure I am using my dslr correctly so my photos won't suck.

Thanks.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    More important, they take the same type of shots all the time ... 5-6 feet from subject at eye level. About the only thing that they seem to change is zoom.
    You are talking about "composition"...and surely this is not just the realm of the SLR. Any photo can benefit from improvements to composition....even P&S

Sometimes we SLR users needlessly put ourselves up on a pedestal.
    Last edited by Honest Gaza; 02-03-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    You are talking about "composition"...and surely this is not just the realm of the SLR. Any photo can benefit from improvements to composition....even P&S

Sometimes we SLR users needlessly put ourselves up on a pedestal.
    My point was along the lines of why buy a DSLR if you're just going to use it like a P&S and not take advantage of its features which allow you to adjust compositional elements. Don't get me wrong, P&S cameras in the hands of a good photographer who thinks compositionally about their shots can create just as stunning an image as a DSLR. I've even seen some great shots taken with cell phone cameras. But, P&S's rarely (if ever) allow you to adjust your aperature setting to control depth of field. DSLR's do. And, depth of field can dramatically change the feeling and look of a shot.

So, in my book a person who spends a ton of money on a DSLR set up to use it like a P&S to take snap shots is an idiot for not learning and exploring the features of a DSLR that allow one to adjust (and hopefully improve) a shot. Or, on a more basic level, just because you buy an expensive DSLR doesn't equate in taking better photographs. You have to learn how to use its various functions. And you have to learn how its functions will affect the outcome of the images you shoot.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???