Hi all,
So I had been searching for what I thought was a great "walk-around" lens (for lack of a better word. Basically I was looking for something with all of the following qualities:
1)Higher aperture--at least at the wide end--so that I could shoot indoors
2)Sharp pictures
3)Decent zoom range
4)Range that at least replaces the XTi kit lens, ideally with greater zoom at the wide end
5)Affordable price

After a lot of searching, I thought I had found the perfect lens--the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. I ordered it, got the Nikon mount accidentally, sent it back to be returned....3 weeks later I get told that they don't have any more in stock. :-/

The newer Sigma--Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens--is available, and I can exchange it for that one. Unfortunately it is $80 more (originally paid $369, now need to pay $449). That was definitely out of the price I wanted to pay, and would not have ordered a $449 lens initially (I know it doesn't SEEM like a lot, but it kind of is).

So, what should I do? Is the OS version worth the extra $80? Is there a different lens that meets my criteria, but with a lower price point?

I'm open to suggestions!