Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face Slapping forehead ...

Wow, I must be speaking in tongues or something.

My point was ... that just because something is NO LONGER PRODUCED by whatever manufacturer decided to quit the product, its inherent utility and value still exist. Buying add-ons makes perfect sense, extending the life and utility of this foregone product.

I suggest that the SONY HVL-F56AM flash will be working long after many "idiot"-erations of the underlying DSLRs have been produced. They are available on ebay, along with the earlier and identical Minolta 5600HS D flash. This tool just does not lose its respective value, especially since it is a proprietary item for the hot shoe involved. If you have one, this ring flash adapter would be an valuable asset.

If you, instead, have a HVL-F58AM ... you will probably have to figure something else out. The way this item is constructed, it does not appear to be very flexible and would require specific configurations. A solution for a select few.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-26-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So why not just buy a much cheaper ringlight flash.
    $75 Bower Macro Ringlight Flash

BTW I don't think you can seriously compare an old Minolta lens to a flash gun in terms of longevity.
    I know some of my lens' are a bit long in the tooth (like 30yrs) but in that time I've gone through several flash guns.
    Fortunately the lens' don't have a deteriorating tube and all those electronics and capacitors to go wrong.

OK, OK I know it was tongue-in-cheek, I just had to say it.

Don's propensity to spend money aside, you can get those ring-light adapters for $30 on eBay, and you can get versions that will work with about any current flash.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Well, there it is. Why support B&H if you do not have to. LOL

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

well i'm sticking with my modified HVL-F20AM..best 60 buck flash for macro