Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Lightbulb RING it up!

I like a good, cheap ring flash, personally. Mine cost me $150. Same as this little bugger.

Name:  ring-flash-on-sony+90mm-w-blur.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  243.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Except that using a top-down only flash is completely useless for close-up macro work.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I like a good, cheap ring flash, personally. Mine cost me $150. Same as this little bugger.

Name:  ring-flash-on-sony+90mm-w-blur.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  243.3 KB
    A much better idea, and you can get 'em even cheaper now through the lovely joy that is eBay ($60-70) as they provide even lighting, even if you have to fiddle with aperture and shutter speeds to get the exposure correct.
    Last edited by jekostas; 01-22-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    "jekostas;]Except that using a top-down only flash is completely useless for close-up macro work."

really..lol
    Oh yeah, penny on a dark background. How much time did you spend in Photoshop cloning out hotspots? Judging by your background, the answer would be "not nearly enough".

No person in their right mind uses strobes for studio product work. You use lamps so you don't spend your life in post-processing.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Where did i say this was intended for studio work?????

Heres the answer nowhere!!!!!

BUT WHATEVER..I'M DONE
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-23-2010 at 02:05 PM.

The prime reason for an A900 user to purchase this flash is to use it as a trigger for off camera flashes.
    I like that you think outside the box and find another use for it.

Lightbulb Another peek a something different

And for goodness sake, do not bother buying the HVL-RLAM. It is about as useless a lamp as I have ever used. It costs a heck of a lot more than it is worth.

There is also a newer item, the ExpoImaging RAC170 (<- click here), that can redirect your electronic HVL-F56AM flash into a ring flash. I figure this really worthwhile, as it eliminates the need for another flash unit and batteries needed to support it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-25-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Worthwhile to Whom?
    $199.95 and and only for the obsolete Sony HVL-56AM?

Cool Technology "catch-up", ever ongoing and frustrating

Do you have ANY idea how many of these "obsolete" flashes are out there? I'll wager there are more of them than the HVL-F58AM. Heck, I still have 2 working 4000AFs and a 2800AF. You think I am going to toss them because Minolta was destroyed and left SONY to pick up the pieces? "HA!" I say.

You know, Peter, with tongue-firmly-implanted-in-cheek, you, my friend, are a gem.

Did you know there are those who still use older Minolta-glass on their cameras ... even though some of them might be considered ... past their ... PRIME? LOL My goodness, that is a rib-tickler, ain't it?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-26-2010 at 11:37 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I'm just questioning the wisdom of spending $200 on an item that only fits an obsolete flash.
    Unless I missed something, it won't work with the 4000AF or the 2800AF only with the HVL-56AM.