Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mecablitz 48AF

Never been a fan of side flashes

Question What's that in the distance? Oh yeah, my subject

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Never been a fan of side flashes
    Look, if you are going to crawl on top of your subject and burn their nose hairs off with your flash, then yeah, it would not make sense to have a little "sunshine" provider on the side of the rig. But, when you are thirty feet away, who cares? The distance of the flash to the lens is rather moot.

I have had a dual flash system for many years, on the Minolta Maxxum 9000 with a pair of 2400AF units ... one on the side (using the CG1000)

Name:  minolta-cg1000.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  18.9 KB

and the other on the hot shoe. Now, I have to admit, the side unit was connected to a 10 foot cable for quick removal and remote positioning. I miss that rig. Darn convenient.

You do not even want to know how many "AA" batteries that baby ate for a shoot. Whoa! The CG1000, alone, held 6 for speedier recharges of the 2400AF flash.

So, given the current crop of SONY flashes:

Which one gets the nod?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-20-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I got the metz flash working good now. The only thing that is not working is that I don`t see the F value on the flash display. I phoned Sony and Metz and they say I need a ADI lens. The only ADI lens I got is the 18-70 kit lens according to the Sony data base.
    I`m not so sure if that lens is a ADI lens.

Is there a SONY Style store nearby? Almost all of the SONY lenses have ADI in them. I say "almost ALL" because there are a few Minolta rebrands that still only sport five contacts.

It is almost a guaranty that if the lens has eight contact points on the mount ... it has ADI.

Personally, I think that kind of sounds a little "goofy", in the sense that lens' aperture information is ALWAYS available through the FIVE original contacts. (along with autofocus control information)

ADI information specifically is used to convey the additional focus distance setting ... which adjusts the flash power used.

I know this works, as I have done tests on similar lenses with and without the additional three contacts (TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD & TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD ... and also with the SONY 50mm f/1.4 - eight contact & Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4 - five contact). I never lost the lens' aperture data, as I recall.

If the Metz in not showing the aperture ...I suspect there may be something else involved, but then again, I have limited experience with these newer, low-end model SONYs.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-21-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I don`t have a Sony style store nearby but I can go to a store that sell sony and try a lens or else I can go to the service shop for metz. They said they can test it for me. Thanks for the info, now I know the diff between the lenses. I got a few minolta lenses but they are the old ones. ( beercan ) I will check the lenses I got and go to the sony store tomorrow and try a few sony lenses.

Ok, the minolta lenses has got 5 contacts and sony kit lens 8 contacts and not one of these lenses give me the aperture data. Is there any special settings on the camera that needs to be done? I tried ADI and TTL. Flash settings on the camera maybe? If not then I think there is a problem with, or the flash or the camera for not sending the info to the flash.
    Last edited by S3000; 01-22-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by S3000 View Post
    I got a new Metz 48 AF for The sony A300 and I got a problem using the TTL mode. All my shots are over exposed. I used all my lenses and all with the same results. Does anyone know how this works? Is there something that I am doing wrong?
    I'd say to have a good read of the manual, but..

TTL basically fires off a single "test" flash as you shoot, gauges the reflected light, and then fires at the estimated power when the shutter activates; gueass what, it can be confused by overly dark or by overly light or shiny objects.

ADI takes the distance reading from your focus point and fires at the appropriate power for that distance; it doesn't work with bounced flash so you need to use TTL. I rarely use direct flash so I use Manual or TTF and in any case I only have two ADI equipped lens'.

Basically, ADI is meant to produce a more accurate exposure in tricky situations where TTL can be fooled, say with a Wedding dress against a white or bright background. Nothing new there then, I hear you say.

Quote Originally Posted by S3000 View Post
    I got the metz flash working good now. The only thing that is not working is that I don`t see the F value on the flash display. I phoned Sony and Metz and they say I need a ADI lens. The only ADI lens I got is the 18-70 kit lens according to the Sony data base.
    I`m not so sure if that lens is a ADI lens.
    Sony's are ADI, the Minoltas are not.
    Why would the flash give you the F-number? Distance maybe. Or am I being obtuse.