Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FZ20 vs new FZ5

FZ20 vs new FZ5

O.K. I was set to but the FZ20 and now the new FZ5 appears-ugh! What to do now? I like the zoom ring on the FZ20 but the smaller size of the FZ5 is appealing. I dont know if I would use the hot shoe and I wouldnt buy any additional lenses for the Fz20 anyway.

Is the Fz20 faster shot to shot and start up? Otherwise the 5mp and 12x zoom with IS is now in the smaller package. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Or now do I wait for the new FZ20? However if they up the mp I dont think I would want more than 5mp anyway. What chgs on the updated fz20 do you guys think there will be? What's a girl to do?

good question, but I'm a guy so my suggestions are going to be biased.

now about the camera...

huh. and here I were just weighing the FZ15 against the FZ20. now the FZ5 is coming along. but alas I can not wait until then (the release date) so I will make my decision and live with it.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes but it is suppose to be faster.

The multi-task image processing LSI realizes outstanding response of industry-leading release time lag of 0.008(FZ5)/0.006(FZ4) sec minimum and a shutter interval of approx. 0.4(FZ5)/0.3(FZ4)* sec for achieving more stress-free operation. It also boasts high consecutive shooting performance, providing shooting at 3(FZ5)/4(FZ4) frames per sec at full resolution. The Unlimited** Consecutive Shooting function allows limit-free consecutive shooting up to the capacity of the memory card or built-in memory.

* Not including the time for AF.

**The speed of the consecutive shooting varies depending on the memory card or built-in memory.

The number of recordable picture depends on the memory card size, battery life, picture size, and compression.

4. The Industry-leading Short AF Time for a High Zoom Model

An AF method can be selected according to the shooting situation: 9-point, 3-point high-speed, 1 point high-speed, 1-point normal-speed and Spot. In the newly incorporated 1 point high-speed AF, the shutter time lag (including AF speed i.e. the time from “shutter full pressing” to “capturing picture”) has dramatically been reduced to one-third the level* of the previous DMC-FZ3 model, and has resulted in achievement of industry-leading short shutter time lag for a high zoom model.

Although screen-freeze in high-speed AF is now minimized, if you take the picture of subject with fast movement, you can select 1 point normal-speed AF which does not have any screen-freeze while focusing. In addition, AF assist lamp is

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Gene, What happened to the rest of your post?

I meant to note that there is no manual focus ring on the FZ5. I guess they both have zoom rings. I also read that the FZ5 has a slower and "less impressive" lense due to 1/2.5" vs.1/3.2 and F2.8-F3.3 vs. F2.8 at all times.
    Also 1/4shutter speed in P mode?

What does that really come down to? Will these make a big difference?

Chisinau, Republic of Moldova (no, it's not in Africa)
    Stonehill, I guess FZ4/5 don't have manual focus rings.
    It's only logical, considering they don't have manual focus!!

A quote from dcresource.com front page:

Full manual controls (sans focus)
    This refers to FZ4, and in the list of differences of FZ5 there's no mentioning
    of this desirable feature... too bad..

BTW - I wonder why Panasonic decided to use "4" (as in FZ4) despite Asian prejudice against this number (There's no Minolta Z4 or Canon G4)

Karloch Guest
    I'm in the same situation, was decided to buy the FZ20 when I saw the FZ5 specs. Does someone knows if the lense issue to 1/2.5" vs.1/3.2 and F2.8-F3.3 vs. F2.8 at all times. Will these make a big difference?

There's some pretty good improvements on the FZ5, better battery life, larger LCD than the FZ3 and FZ4 (still smaller than the FZ20 but the camera is a whole lot smaller too!!!).

It's a tough choice; FZ20 or FZ5 ???

Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by stonehill
    Gene, What happened to the rest of your post?

I meant to note that there is no manual focus ring on the FZ5. I guess they both have zoom rings. I also read that the FZ5 has a slower and "less impressive" lense due to 1/2.5" vs.1/3.2 and F2.8-F3.3 vs. F2.8 at all times.
    Also 1/4shutter speed in P mode?

What does that really come down to? Will these make a big difference?
    Yes, these I are the downsides to the FZ5 I heard. But the FZ5 is not out yet right? I think it's only out in Apr 2005. Can you wait that long?

.....no, these spec differences probably won't make a huge difference. But what will make a difference is whether you will have the smaller camera with you more often, and hence take more pictures. The differences in image quality also seem important to me. When I compare similar images taken by Jeff with both cameras, I prefer the image quality of the FZ20. The differences may be subtle, but worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by viztyger
    .....no, these spec differences probably won't make a huge difference. But what will make a difference is whether you will have the smaller camera with you more often, and hence take more pictures. The differences in image quality also seem important to me. When I compare similar images taken by Jeff with both cameras, I prefer the image quality of the FZ20. The differences may be subtle, but worth a look.
    *Without being disrespectful*..

Im not sure why they size of the FZ20 is every really an option. Considering waht the camera has, it is in many ways smaller than what one might expect. Most regular camera bags will hold it, and its not really heavy...

Same dilema FZ20 or FZ5

I have also been trying to make this decision but FZ5 release date in UK of sometime in April was too late for my holiday (earliest seems to be March 15th in Germany). So I have now ordered an FZ20 it should arrive in a few days. I'm sure it will be brilliant in most areas but I will post my views on the key issues such as size/weight & AF speed where the FZ5 should be better when I have had time to play.